Catering Contracts (compare, contrast, etc.)

Brian - you can pay me back next weekend with a Texas Tommy at QN4U.:biggrin:

Interesting that we were discussing leftovers and then I come home tonight to see this in my inbox...
From the California Restaurant Association

On Tuesday, August 19, 2008, SB 1443 by Senator Jenny Oropeza (Long Beach) was defeated in the Assembly with a vote of 27 to 36. The CRA led the arduous fight against this bill which proved to be an uphill battle, making this defeat a true victory.

This onerous bill would have required that every written catering contract include a provision in the contract allowing all catering clients to determine how leftover food be allocated (between only two options); either giving it directly to the client or donating it to a non-profit food bank, in the alternative. The CRA opposed this bill and led the coalition of other business groups also in opposition. Thanks to aggressive lobbying and grassroots strategies, the bill died at the end of session (
click here for the final vote). The CRA is truly pleased with this victory.
Please contact Brenda Coleman at bcoleman@calrest.org with any questions.

Interesting that we were discussing leftovers and then I come home tonight to see this in my inbox...
From the California Restaurant Association

On Tuesday, August 19, 2008, SB 1443 by Senator Jenny Oropeza (Long Beach) was defeated in the Assembly with a vote of 27 to 36. The CRA led the arduous fight against this bill which proved to be an uphill battle, making this defeat a true victory.

This onerous bill would have required that every written catering contract include a provision in the contract allowing all catering clients to determine how leftover food be allocated (between only two options); either giving it directly to the client or donating it to a non-profit food bank, in the alternative. The CRA opposed this bill and led the coalition of other business groups also in opposition. Thanks to aggressive lobbying and grassroots strategies, the bill died at the end of session (click here for the final vote). The CRA is truly pleased with this victory.
Please contact Brenda Coleman at bcoleman@calrest.org with any questions.

Legislating leftovers...I love it.

Good work, BBS.

Guaranteed Number of Guests (include all persons who will be attending, e.g. ministers, photographers, musicians, etc):

I'd change that to "all persons who will be dining".

I'd also make it clear that this is the number that will be billed. If you told me 100 and five show up, you are being billed for 5. I'd also state that anything over +10% will also be billed. So if you told me 100, and 150 show up and I come up with more food, you get billed. This can get a little weird if I planned for 110 but fed 150 with the same amount of food. My costs aren't the same... however, that can be a slippery slope if clients continue to low ball your numbers. I had a wedding last year where they told me 100, and 180 showed up. The last people in line were pissed because all they got was hot dogs from the kid's table. To them, it is my fault, which means my reputation. You put me in that position, you are going to pay for it. Better get your numbers right up front.

Most of my clients want leftovers. They expect them, and I believe that the leftovers are there's. Again, if 5 people show up, I've got food for 105 more that you should be able to take home. You bought it.

In the event we do not leave leftovers, "Our insurance doesn't allow us to leave food with anyone" is a convenient line...well...it is true.

I hate I'm just now seeing this thread. I've attached the contract I've created. After reading and perusing some of the others as well as the information that's been shared I will be tweaking it once again.

Attachments

• Bigmista_Contract.pdf
    107.9 KB · Views: 165
Good work, BBS.

Guaranteed Number of Guests (include all persons who will be attending, e.g. ministers, photographers, musicians, etc):

I'd change that to "all persons who will be dining".

I'd also make it clear that this is the number that will be billed. If you told me 100 and five show up, you are being billed for 5. I'd also state that anything over +10% will also be billed. So if you told me 100, and 150 show up and I come up with more food, you get billed. This can get a little weird if I planned for 110 but fed 150 with the same amount of food. My costs aren't the same... however, that can be a slippery slope if clients continue to low ball your numbers. I had a wedding last year where they told me 100, and 180 showed up. The last people in line were pissed because all they got was hot dogs from the kid's table. To them, it is my fault, which means my reputation. You put me in that position, you are going to pay for it. Better get your numbers right up front.

Most of my clients want leftovers. They expect them, and I believe that the leftovers are there's. Again, if 5 people show up, I've got food for 105 more that you should be able to take home. You bought it.

Todd,

Just catching up on this. Yes, the way you stated is much clearer. My thought is that I do not give the bride or groom the option of the band, ministers, etc. eating or not. Surprisingly some penny conscious folks think the help is not suppose to eat.

100 to 180 is just wrong!:mad: Sounds like the client screwed you with the count.

I hate I'm just now seeing this thread. I've attached the contract I've created. After reading and perusing some of the others as well as the information that's been shared I will be tweaking it once again.

Me thinks you need a guaranteed minimum at the time of booking. What is your minimum?

BBS- Thank you sir I will be using this contract today. I'll have to change '$' to '£' but thats not too big a price to pay. lol

Lots of good info on here. I would like to see some of the updated contracts that people mention changing after reading what was posted here.

I used portions of this to write my contract and it came in very handy. My first gig out was for 200 people. I showed up and set up the buffet and was waiting to serve when the client came up and asked when would I be setting up all the tables and chairs for the guests to eat. They said I stated I was supplying the tables, to which I said yes I was bringing the tables for the buffet. Plus my contract said that we were supplying, setting up and maintaining tables for the buffet. At first I thought there was going to be a problem but the client was able to make a quick run to his church and get some tables. But without the contract it would have been he said she said. So thanks again BBS!!!

Back