• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

37.5" King Kettle is mine....Double KC Craigslist score....Pics

LoneStarMojo

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Went to KC area (Lenexa) this weekend to check out a couple of CL items. Went to look at a Whalen 37.5 inch King Kettle. They had it down at their lake house for 5 years and used about once a year and they kept it stored under the shelter of a raised deck. We dealt from $450 down to $300 and it did NOT disappoint. Man do I have some good cooks coming down the road with this one.

The other was a JCPenney branded 22.5 kettle in Olathe (circa who-knows-when) that had a lid and grates in excellent condition. Where the legs meet the kettle it's too rusty to salvage but I just wanted the lid and grates for a UDS anyway. He wanted $40 and we settled on $20.

Enjoy the pics!

Whalen Kettle King first. Here's the bowl...it's like new.
100_7378.jpg

100_7379.jpg

With lower grate.
100_7381.jpg

Sparky wishes I was firing it up. When I do he knows he gets a share. He's a pit/lab mix that I rescued.
100_7382.jpg

The cooking grate comes in 2 halves. Those and the the lower grates are really heavy.
100_7386.jpg

100_7388.jpg

Here's the underside of the lid.
100_7391.jpg

The outside and inside of the lid are magnificent.
100_7395.jpg

100_7393.jpg

100_7394.jpg

For perspective, here's the 37.5" and the 22.5", side by side.
100_7399.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Nice find. That bad boy is gonna use SOME fuel.

Thanks! The previous owner said that for a full load of burgers, steaks, etc that it took 3 full small briquette starters to cook. Takes one large one to indirect cook. I'll be doing more indirect than anything but I will fill it up several times a year.

Thats a new brand name for me. Never heard of a Whalen? Where are they made? Looks like a great find. You might be able to cook a small pig on it...:laugh:

Outstanding score! What's planned for the first cook? I can picture that thing with a couple of suckling pigs on it.

Thats a new brand name for me. Never heard of a Whalen? Where are they made? Looks like a great find. You might be able to cook a small pig on it...:laugh:

Whalen Manufacturing made it. The story I hear is that it was pretty much a clone of the Weber Ranch Kettle and Weber got all bristled up over it and when the lawyers were all said and done the Whalen Kettle King was a one year wonder. The frame is actually a little beefier than the Ranch, especially the grab bar that run the circumference of the kettle. They didn't use the Weber wire lid holder assembly either (probably patented). The grab bar holds the lid but it's probably not as smooth without the nylon rollers Weber uses.

Outstanding score! What's planned for the first cook? I can picture that thing with a couple of suckling pigs on it.

You know I never have done a pig or suckling pig. I'm more inclined to do some ribs going indirect and might have a tri-tip party. I've got five of those in the freezer. It may not see any action till 4TH of July and there will be 60-70 people to do burgers, brats, wieners, and pork steaks for. I coulda lived without it but I've been wanting a 26" Weber kettle and those are $300 brand new so this just seemed to make sense. My wife's family likes to get together by the dozens so I can just strap it to the end of my trailer and haul it wherever they want it.

Congats you are going to love it. I have the Ranch and Think its great. They are not the fuel hog everyone thinks they are. It is too shiny get it dirty:thumb:

That's huge... I bet you could cook enough burgers on that to feed all the Lebron James fans in Cleveland in a single cook...

Congats you are going to love it. I have the Ranch and Think its great. They are not the fuel hog everyone thinks they are. It is too shiny get it dirty:thumb:

Thanks man. It's definitely gettin dirty. But I think I'll keep the exterior shine :-D

SWEET score! I got a Ranch kettle and love it.They ain't as big as ya think when you're cookin for 20+ peeps. I LOVE the half grate.I may cut mine.:thumb:

SWEET score! I got a Ranch kettle and love it.They ain't as big as ya think when you're cookin for 20+ peeps. I LOVE the half grate.I may cut mine.:thumb:

Yeah I'm diggin the half-grate myself. Easy access to the coals. And I have a Char-Griller to go with it and my son will bring his Weber on the 4TH. Plus I can set my 500 Gal smoker up for grilling as well (I did last year) but I don't think I'll need it this year. I'll have to post pics of that 500 Gal mod for grillin someday.

Back