Question for Candidates

Hey Phillip
Did you sign the petition to not allow a husband and wife serve on the Board together?

It should be interesting how the Board will try to handle this one. I have to think it is going to take a By-Law change to make it happen, but should be interesting. LOL

Your right Jim, it will take a By-Law change. It is clear to most people what is going on here, a few from Tennessee and Alabama have been on the hunt for over a year with this Nepotism that they dont even know the meaning of. Would it be kinda funny if they continue to slander someone and get a lawsuit against them. LOL Maybe that is why they are chicken to name names on the forum?

Last edited:
Steph
The post above was just an example of how some like to play the game, make a statement don't support it with any facts and let it take on a life of it's own.

Phillip
If you want honesty then be honest and gives the reasons and facts that you suggest in your post, let us see that your post is more than just playing the game.

Piqued curiosity....where/with whom did this petition originate?

Since it's being put out there, may as well go all the way.

Still waiting on the answer to this one. I hear it has been received by KCBS, guess we will see in the minutes who started it?

Piqued curiosity....where/with whom did this petition originate?

Since it's being put out there, may as well go all the way.

I was asked to sign it right after judging at The Jack so I can tell you that it exists. I was told they hoped to get 1,000 signatures. When I suggested it was all about Merl it became a little testy and that just wasn't the time or place so we let it go.

So how many signatures of the 10,000 members are on this petition?

You want honesty? Okay. Yes, I signed the petition. I expressed my feelings against husbands/wives, parents/children, brothers/sisters, etc. serving together last year when Carol announced she was running for the board.

Was it because of Carol? NO! I would feel the same way if Theresa Lake, Maria Lohman, Jan Black, Debbie Harwell, or Vickie Ownby were to run. Heck, I would have been against Momma Dean Stone running if Tony was still on the board and I love her to death! The ONLY ones I would NEVER have been against would have been Carolyn and Gary Wells. They were FOUNDERS!

As long as KCBS allows it, I will always be against it. If anyone else feels the opposite, then that is their prerogative. And I’m not saying they are wrong, I just differ.

Now, back on the original topic of this thread. As I stated in my opening post, I feel it is very important for Board members to be able to work together for the betterment of our organization. Not that they can't disagree on matters, but channel these differences of opinions into a workable solution. I had heard RUMORS, R-U-M-O-R-S, that a, or some, board members have threatened other board members with a lawsuit(s) in regards to board business. Since I have never been to a board meeting to actually hear this in person, I am using this question to verify or shoot down what I have heard.

I am not asking for any explanations, just a yes or no answer to help ME decide my votes. Other people have asked questions of the candidates that would help them with their decisions, why can’t I.

Two candidates had NO problem answering the question and did not even balk or question why I asked it. And to be honest, as you asked me to, NO candidate has questioned it, just people who I really don’t need to answer to, but I did.

Phillip

You want honesty? Okay. Yes, I signed the petition. I expressed my feelings against husbands/wives, parents/children, brothers/sisters, etc. serving together last year when Carol announced she was running for the board.

Was it because of Carol? NO! I would feel the same way if Theresa Lake, Maria Lohman, Jan Black, Debbie Harwell, or Vickie Ownby were to run. Heck, I would have been against Momma Dean Stone running if Tony was still on the board and I love her to death! The ONLY ones I would NEVER have been against would have been Carolyn and Gary Wells. They were FOUNDERS!

As long as KCBS allows it, I will always be against it. If anyone else feels the opposite, then that is their prerogative. And I’m not saying they are wrong, I just differ.

Now, back on the original topic of this thread. As I stated in my opening post, I feel it is very important for Board members to be able to work together for the betterment of our organization. Not that they can't disagree on matters, but channel these differences of opinions into a workable solution. I had heard RUMORS, R-U-M-O-R-S, that a, or some, board members have threatened other board members with a lawsuit(s) in regards to board business. Since I have never been to a board meeting to actually hear this in person, I am using this question to verify or shoot down what I have heard.

I am not asking for any explanations, just a yes or no answer to help ME decide my votes. Other people have asked questions of the candidates that would help them with their decisions, why can’t I.

Two candidates had NO problem answering the question and did not even balk or question why I asked it. And to be honest, as you asked me to, NO candidate has questioned it, just people who I really don’t need to answer to, but I did.

Phillip
Why are you against family member/spouse etc serving together on a BOD?

But this is America and the court system is a right that we have so why would this be perceived as a reason people couldn't work together for the betterment of our organization?

I'm also waiting for answers to my questions from all the board members. I've heard rumors that some have targeted other board members and I've heard rumors that some have gone above and beyond to help some old friends.

Last edited:
Phillip Brother It seems clear you have decided who your voting for
This just not come off as a real question

Slednick,
I just feel with an organization as large as ours, we could be better served with a broader representation. Heck, I would like to see Regional representation. Remember, I'm not saying it is wrong, I just don't like it. Apparently, I am in the minority, but that doesn't mean I have to conform.

Ray,
Good questions and I hope you get the answers you are seeking. And you are correct, the court system is one of our rights. But, I just don't believe that it should be a "tool" to get your way during board proceedings. IF THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED! I don't know that it has happened, but I thought this would be a way of finding out the truth!

Thom,
Yes, I have made some decisions, but not all. As I said, I have only heard rumors, so I want to hear the answers before I make my final decisions.

IMO, If a member of ANY board is behaving in a way that would leave them open for a lawsuit, then they are risking the integrity of the board itself. If it takes another board member threatening to use the law to enforce the law, then so be it.

Slednick,
I just feel with an organization as large as ours, we could be better served with a broader representation. Heck, I would like to see Regional representation. Remember, I'm not saying it is wrong, I just don't like it. Apparently, I am in the minority, but that doesn't mean I have to conform.
You definitely entitled to your opinion. I for one encourage it because to me contests and BBQ are all about family, that is why I compete.

Husband and wife on the Board has been the case 4 different times that I know of.
There is a history for this with KCBS, I believe this has more to do with personalities IMO.

Let me say as someone has sat through Board meetings and watched how a group of members attempt to deal with members that don't toe the line so to speak.

I watched a small group of people write letters monthly to the Board telling how Ray L was just not a nice guy, hurt their feelings and was going to ruin BBQ (seems their interpetation of the situation was right on). I watched the Board write letters to Ray telling him he had to stop what ever he was doing so these letters would stop.

It was brought to the Board that any Board member that wanted to post on any Forum must first get approval from the Marketing Comm. In this case it was me they were wanting to shut up and at that time it was suggested that a lawsuit could come of such actions. I also told them to have a replacement ready for me because I would not follow such a ruling.

This year a gag order was tried again and again the Board was advised of possible actions should they try to pass it.

Here is a question that has not been brought up but I suggest goes more to the matter of how things are done and do call for a remedy. The Treasurer is asked for information because a vote is to come up at the next meeting. The Treasurer informs members that no information will be given until the meeting. This is to limit discovery and discussion on the information being proposed.

IMO, If a member of ANY board is behaving in a way that would leave them open for a lawsuit, then they are risking the integrity of the board itself. If it takes another board member threatening to use the law to enforce the law, then so be it.

There are frivolous lawsuits filed every day. Just because someone threatens to take such an action does not mean they had a leg to stand on. I don't have any knowledge of this particular situation I'm just talking in general.

I watched a small group of people write letters monthly to the Board telling how Ray L was just not a nice guy, hurt their feelings and was going to ruin BBQ (seems their interpetation of the situation was right on). I watched the Board write letters to Ray telling him he had to stop what ever he was doing so these letters would stop.

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't really pay attention to rumors and politics in BBQ too much.

Are you referring to Ray Lampe when you say 'Ray L'? Did he have an official capacity with the KCBS at the time? This is sort of shocking, as I've never seen or heard of Ray being anything but a consummate ambassador for BBQ.

Eric

Other than the obvious, why would they keep the financial and this petition under wraps? At least 1200 people have seen the petition, what's the big deal? Was this petition specifically brought out at the Jack? Or was it being peddled around prior? Whomever started this petition, they weren't at the Jack in an official capacity, I hope.

Ray Lampe was on the Board in 2005.

Steph
The financial situation was in 2007 while was I on the Board and it was to limit discovery and discussion, I have no doubt there.

The Petition others have much more information than I.

There are frivolous lawsuits filed every day. Just because someone threatens to take such an action does not mean they had a leg to stand on. .

yup, and thats true too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Sidebar>
Sometimes it make take the threat of the suit to open ones eyes that what they are doing may be illegal, have the perception of illegality, or be a breach of fiduciary duty.

To add to this.. IF there was a member of a board, who i entrusted to represent me as a member or stockholder, and that trustee was doing things that were not in MY best interest or the interest of the organization or gave the perception of an underlying personal or hidden agenda, i would EXPECT others on that board to speak up, and if they must, threaten legal action against the rouge board members. Additionally, it is the person who is calling the illegal action or breach to the table whom I would WANT on that board to protect my interests, the integrity of that board room and represent me.

Other than the obvious, why would they keep the financial and this petition under wraps? At least 1200 people have seen the petition, what's the big deal? Was this petition specifically brought out at the Jack? Or was it being peddled around prior? Whomever started this petition, they weren't at the Jack in an official capacity, I hope.

Phillip sent you are being honest who persented the petition to you? Several people have asked and you said you signed it so I am guessing you know. Thanks

You definitely entitled to your opinion. I for one encourage it because to me contests and BBQ are all about family, that is why I compete.

Heres MY opinion. You can put a tiara on a pig, and its never going to be a princess. IMO, The question at the top of this thread has but one intention, non other than to air dirty laundry or trap candidates into yes/no answers, that without supplying details that should remain in the board room, may or may not incriminate.

Its my opinion, that this, and a few other questions presented are presented specifically to air the dirty laundry, and pull the patch off one of many black eyes. I for one was embarrassed for KCBS at the activities that took place after last years election and the waste of the BOD time dealing with what was perceived as infighting and petty antics and underlying personal agendas.

If the goal here is to start a negative campaign, and bring out actions based on hearsay, rumor, he said she said, or trap ANY candidate into incriminating themselves due to lack of factual information, this forum will not be a part of it. We will not be a vehicle for slander, hearsay and the propagation of rumor or negativity towards KCBS or its BOD. Nor will it spearhead a campaign against any potential board member.

I recommend, no I INSIST, that questions presented be respectful, of the best intent, and for the betterment of KCBS and its candidates WITHOUT UNDERLYING MOTIVES. They are to get facts about the candidates platforms, and not be directed at negative bullchit that flew all over the internet last year.

I would like to publicly apologize for ruining BBQ.

Back