Battle of the BBQ Brethren, Sayville, NY - Oct 24-26, 2008

I am intersested in doing this competition. What are the payouts for the KCBS event?

Thanks
Ed

We certainly hope that you can make it Ed.

Unfortunately I can't give you an exact dollar amount for the payouts. 100 percent of the money from the entries are going back to the teams as payouts and we are getting more teams signing up all the time. Until I know exactly how many teams there will be I won't have an exact figure.

We are currently at around $7,000.00 for Grilling and BBQ, with the lions share going to BBQ. Does that help at all?

In addition, there will be some extra prizes such as the GC getting to spend the night with Willie.

Eric

are there still openings? I just got back from florida and never sent my stuff in!!

Yes there are, but a late entry penalty means that you aren't eligible to spend the night with Willie. Sorry.

Sure. Send it in soon and you should be fine.

Eric

$99.00 per night. Promo code Z04

Nice hotel, clean, about four miles from the event. Plenty of parking (even for oversize vehicles).

Holiday Inn
3845 Veterans Memorial Highway
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

631 585 9500
www.holidayinn.com/longislandny

Eric

Thanks Eric!! Cracker and I are booked!! Thanks for saving us some $$$$

Spice

PLEASE use the 'Sayville Roll Call' thread for chatter about this event.

I would like to keep this thread easily navigable for people who need event information.

Eric

Can anyone shed light on this part of the rules for the onsite judging? Are those competing only being judged by three judges and, if so, do they all count? Or are there a few sets of judges coming in 15 minute intervals with the lowest 1 dropped ala MIM?

If it's 3 judges, each coming 15 minutes a part, that's 45 minutes to keep the food warm. Is there time to prep the desert between the last judge for Chef's Choice and the first judge for desert? 12pm "fattie" turn-in, 12:30 Pizza, 1-1:45 Chefs choice, 1:45-2:30 Dessert, 2:30 Hot Dog?

3 Judges will arrive at your site at a predetermined time and will have 10-13 minutes to judge.
Times of judges arrival at your site will be given out at the cooks meeting. They will be in 15 minute intervals.

Going out on a limp here by answering without discussing with the rest of the organizers. So eric will chime in if theres anything different or to add.

We are working out the logistics of 3 or 6 judges(waiting to see how many we have signed up). This will also dictate how long they have to judge. In either case, ALL the judges will arrive at one time and judge both catagories(and awarding seperate scores.) This is NOT MIM style an yes we will drop the lowest score if we can use 6 judges. I will work directly with KCBS reps who have experience with this type of judging to get the judging logistics done properly. We are not the first KCBS contest to do this style.

AT THE JUDGES TENT. Fattie at 12:00, Pizza 12:30. Hot dog(optional)1:00PM

Chefs Choice and desert are judged together(seperate scores) at your site, starting at 3PM. Thats a minimum of 2 hours to prep chefs choice and desert.

On EDIT: I just spoke to Linda from KCBS about the judging. Since she has experience with it, she will oversee and manage this judging for us. We will be having a meeting with her to solidify the logistics of the onsite judging when I return from the Royal. There will be ample time given prior to the contest for competitors to plan.

1 - A single judge will not got to a site. The judges will arrive together.

It will either be one group of 6 judges with a table captain
or
two groups of three judges each, arriving 15 minutes apart, with a table captain for each group.
This will be determined when we have a better idea of our head count. In either case, both catagories iron chef and desert will be judged in that timeframe, so judging both catagories should take 1 hour to complete.

2 - Table captains will ensure timely movement of the judging groups.

3 - The judges meeting will be extended to explain the rules and it will be stressed that showmanship is not part of the score.

4- Unlike MIM, their will be no comparison or discussion among judges. The product will be judged on its own merit.

more to follow.

Attachments

• PC251127.jpg
    PC251127.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 148
I will go into detail on Clint's question later tonight (I'm in a bit of a rush), but I wanted to let people know that I spoke with the manager of the Restaurant Depot that is local to the event and he is in the loop and says that they will have everything in stock.

The Restaurant Depot is literally on the same block as the competition, about 3 miles to the north.

Eric

Just an observation.

If judging at site doesn't start until 3pm (conceivably continuing to 4pm+/-, this is fixing a rather large block of time for contestants and the judges.

As a contestant I don't feel that I need or want another 2 hours. (2 1/2 without the optional hot dog.)

Would it make sense to take the optional hot dog out of the middle of this and put it up front at 11:30?

Hot dog can be moved possibly. We will take it into consideration.

Hot dog was placed there so those that choose not to do it can utilize the time for chefs choice.

The large block of time is intended to give ample time to prepare. Under the guideines given, 2 hours is not excessive to prepare 2 catagories. (Other folks complained that there was not enough time)

Thanks, Phil and Eric. A few more thoughts if you'll allow.

So are the 3 or six judges supposed to sit and eat (thus meaning a table, chairs, and tablescapes ala http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=435904&postcount=3) or are those competing just putting nice platters and/or 12 plates (6 chefs choice and six dessert) on their existing work area?

Can those who are competing have the onsite judges help trim their meat for the KCBS portion as long as they're there?

Finally, for those who are competing, how big exactly is a "small pizza box"?

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Phil and Eric. A few more thoughts if you'll allow.

So are the 3 or six judges supposed to sit and eat (thus meaning a table, chairs, and tablescapes ala http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=435904&postcount=3) or are those competing just putting nice platters and/or 12 plates (6 chefs choice and six dessert) on their existing work area?

After speaking with Linda yesterday, most likely, there will be 6 judges. But although normally they arrive in 2 groups of 3, we will try for all 6 for the sake of time and ease.

The number of teams and time will dictate if they arrive in 2 groups of 3(15 mins apart), or all 6 at once. But they will NOT arrive individually, and remember, chefs choice and desert are presented together in a "tablescape". We will have volunteers bring chairs to your sites so all u need is the table.

(3 or 6)will be worked out when we have a final head count. I will be meeting with our KCBS reps(LindaM) and the organizers to finalize the logistics and notice will go out with ample time to prepare prior to the contest. Linda has done this before with much success.

Can those who are competing have the onsite judges help trim their meat for the KCBS portion as long as they're there?

Of course!!! amd I think in your case, you may have better luck if they cook for you too. :mrgreen::cool:

Finally, for those who are competing, how big exactly is a "small pizza box"?

10 x 10 x 1.75.
And on the outside
its off white in color
With red writing
Kind of a dull gray color inside
Biodegradeable
and contains no flourocarbons

After speaking with Linda yesterday, most likely, there will be 6 judges. But although normally they arrive in 2 groups of 3, we will try for all 6 for the sake of time and ease.

The number of teams and time will dictate if they arrive in 2 groups of 3(15 mins apart), or all 6 at once. But they will NOT arrive individually, and remember, chefs choice and desert are presented together in a "tablescape". We will have volunteers bring chairs to your sites so all u need is the table.

(3 or 6)will be worked out when we have a final head count. I will be meeting with our KCBS reps(LindaM) and the organizers to finalize the logistics and notice will go out with ample time to prepare prior to the contest. Linda has done this before with much success.

Of course!!! amd I think in your case, you may have better luck if they cook for you too. :mrgreen::cool:

10 x 10 x 1.75.
And on the outside
its off white in color
With red writing
Kind of a dull gray color inside
Biodegradeable
and contains no flourocarbons

Dang. I ask a couple questions and get slammed by folks who won't even be there????

I was just trying to clarify a couple of odd rules and help others out. So if dessert and the entree are being presented together as a single tablescape ala Sandra freakin' Lee, we are basically making a fancy dinner setting for six?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know the latest on Saturday we can pull in? We'll be coming over on the ferry and won't be there until noon.

Well if u want to do a Sara Lee, I'd recommend u dress up like her too, after all, its open garnish and you can be considered a meatball. :mrgreen::cool:

but...

you are judged on your chefs choice creation and desert creation.

Only the 2 dishes and its contents are being judged based on Creativity/Originality/Taste. If you choose to serve the chefs choice plated, then all the plates will be judged for creativity and originality(appearance), as a group, just like when u open a 9x9 inch box, all 6 pieces are judged as a group (or appearance).

Consider that table your box, a really big 9x9, and what you do around it is garnish. OPEN GARNISH. It will look nice, but is not to effect your scores.

If I was doing this, i would have a large platter, family style, with a large roast, and that platter would be professionally garnished as I can. My place settings would be empty, I may have a couple of simple sides(not judged) and I would carve the entree when the judges arrived so they can see juices pouring out and anticipate....

OR, I would have plate settings ready for when the judges arrive.

anything else on my table is just garnish.

but since your not competing this is all moot. :cool:

Back