• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Propane tanks

A

ANIMAL

I am gathering info on the SAFEST way to cut into a propane tank,, I will be getting one that is around 10-12 feet long and at least 3ft in Dia. I want it big enough to cook a whole hog.

Any suggestions on how to cut one with out making my wife and kids rich off the insurance??

Opening up to vent is not good enough. Fill with water and use some sort of degreaser, will help clean it at same time.

I'm interested in this one too. I have a 500 gallon tank that has had the valves removed for at least 10 years before I even got it. Still worried about cutting into it.

After filling with water, do you let it sit for a while and then drain before cutting into it or what?

Fill with water and bleach will help kill the smell. I would let it set for a month if your in no hurry. I have heard of someone who throws dry ice in there while they are cutting it but thats after the water.

Hey guys,

Here is a link to the Miller Welding Board and to a thread that discusses this exact subject in detail. There are a couple of photographs too. I have seen the aftermath of bottle explosions several times so heed this warning..... CAUTION: Read all of the posts in this thread, some have information that is discussed or disputed later on.

http://www.millermotorsports.com/mboard/showthread.php?t=4311

I ran exhaust off of my pickup to in side the tank until I had the hole cut for the lid. Purgesthe O2 out of the equation.

I have a link from a welding forum also. I will locate it and post tonight.

i have six 100lb cylinder to cut up going to use them for fireboxes. I think i will take valve off and flush a few time then refill and cut with a plasma cutter. It also might be a good ideal to drill a hole at the lowest point cause propane is heavier than o2

I have a master welder friend who cuts up tanks..............his secret is dry ice.

Hard to come by here unless you pre order. He smashes it with a sledge hammer and throws the dry ice down the vents, throws in some warm water and lets the gas vaporize into carbon dioxide then starts his cutting.

I ran exhaust off of my pickup to in side the tank until I had the hole cut for the lid. Purgesthe O2 out of the equation.

I've heard this pne before, sounded reasonable until I did an Atmosphere Testing course at work and the instructor pointed out that carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion and therefore contains flammable elements. It will displace the oxygen but that doesn't mean you won't get a bang if you introduce an ignition source. Just my two penn'orth:-D

I use the water technique, I aint taking on any responsibilities, but its works fine for me!

I am gathering info on the SAFEST way to cut into a propane tank,, I will be getting one that is around 10-12 feet long and at least 3ft in Dia. I want it big enough to cook a whole hog.

Any suggestions on how to cut one with out making my wife and kids rich off the insurance??

There really is not a safe way to do this. no matter what it is dangerous. Good Luck.

Propane tank

This is what I done to mine. First take out all the valves and fill it to the top with soapie water, let set for 24 hours. Get a grinder with a cutting wheel. Mark your doors and fire box openings. Make a cut with the grinder. After you make the cut drain out all the water. Then it is safe to cut with a torch/plasma cutter. There will be a oil on the bottom that will have to be burned off. Took me 3 burns to get rid of the stuff in mine.
The mastake I make was that I built the smoker then mounted it on the trailer. If you can get the trailer first, then build the smoker fron there. I had to make a platform to reach mine LOL.:mrgreen:

Attachments

• smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 46
Anybody know where I might be able to locate a used propane tank in the So Cal area? Did a search awhile back but everybody wanted to sell me new ones. Man they were expensive.

Thanks

Hey Rub a dub. Where did you get yours?

Are you going to Q-Fest This weekend? Its a total party.

went to school for welding

we were all ways tought it to open the valve and remove the valve when the presher is off and then roll tank where the valve is on the bottom and let set for an couple of days then cut in to it the gasses will vent them self out

if i was doing one i would make the grill and get it all done (no soap)
how you want it and then have it sand blasted in the cooking chamber and then lard it down on the in side and fire that babby up and get to cooking

york

Watched a master welder one day weld a gas tank this way. No rinse, no fuss, no kaboom. Emissions consist of more than CO. Also contain CO2 (non-flamable) and a lot of water, plus other things. Newer vehicles produce less unburned hyrocarbons, less chance of boom mod:-D

Back