Texas Crutch

Do You Use the Texas Crutch?

• Yes, I use the crutch with great success!

Votes: 109 88.6%
  • No, I'm not crutching when I'm cooking!

Votes: 14 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes - There are varying degrees and interpretations of foiling. There are those that wrap in foil after cooking (which I do not consider foiling as a cooking method), or foil boat/pan during the cooking process and then there's the method of tightly sealing you food in foil so as to trap the steam and other simmering juices. Which kind are you??? If what your cooking is surrounded by liquid that is simmering/boiling does it make a difference that this is happening in a smoker crock pot or on a stove top, I think not. You can get great ribs/other BBQ meats by foiling, I don't dispute that, and it's a sanctioned acceptable cooking method; but alas, it's the kissing cousin of boiling and as a group, we seem to disdain boiling.
Butts and brisket are double wrapped (cheap foil out there these days) but there a hole for taking temp so not sealed. Brisket has about 10 0z of liquids to rehydrate the meat. Butts just get a light spray of apple juice. Ribs are sealed as I use the 3-2-1 method. And I'm sweating the meat as the only real liquid in the wrap is inside the meat.

Steaming requires adding liquid to create steam. Wrapping sweats the fat out and that creates liquid.

Foil merely enhances the sweating process.

Butts and brisket are double wrapped (cheap foil out there these days) but there a hole for taking temp so not sealed. Brisket has about 10 0z of liquids to rehydrate the meat. Butts just get a light spray of apple juice. Ribs are sealed as I use the 3-2-1 method. And I'm sweating the meat as the only real liquid in the wrap is inside the meat.

Steaming requires adding liquid to create steam. Wrapping sweats the fat out and that creates liquid.

Foil merely enhances the sweating process.

OK so just simmering in its own juices, maybe with some extra liquid added, not full on steaming, sort of on the order of braising or stewing. I love braised meat, makes it real tender.

Consider this, I like the added benefit that foil gives by stopping color development. I really dislike the idea of eating more soot and other airborne particles in the smoke than I have to. That coal black brisket has lots of bad stuff sitting on it. If you have ever use cheese cloth to cook a turkey you can see what I mean. I have also used cheese cloth on a brisket. It works well but you need a special set up to do it.

As far as foiling ribs go I foil for an hour or less right at the end and do not add liquid nor will a short time in the foil draw the juice out but it will help speed up the cook if you're behind.

No braising here.

Don't use the stuff while cooking but have been known to foil a finished butt and park in a cooler on the way to a catering event.

Back