Brisket Day! BigButz BBQ Style

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well now. Seems as if a couple of us haven't done brisket in quite a while. LMAJ has a cook going here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174004 (I'll be paying attention - Lynn has a PRIME CAB y'all! - mine's just a choice CAB)

Anyway, my take, and here's my beginning for this cook. BigButzBBQ figures prominently here as the No Butz sauce is a major contributor in the marinade/injection and the Cow Pow was my selection for the rub. Try these if you haven't already as they ROCK.

Here's the brisket as it was last Sunday evening..

brisket_zps9419cd16.jpg

The marinade and injection ingredients...

marinade_zps0d62656c.jpg

Injected and into the cryovac for a little marinade experiment...which was seeing how it would be after a week aging in the stuff)...

brisket1_zps0c3e3eef.jpg

And today. It's a beauty, and smells wonderful. I reserved the marinade...

brisket2_zpsba98dbd7.jpg

A little dusting of the Cow Pow...

brisket3_zpsb7e1064e.jpg

And onto the Cajun Bandit set for ~ 275 (It's staying in between 271 and 285 as the wind is having an effect. I'll bump it up to 300 towards the end). I'm already hungry and it's only been on for a little over two hours or so...

brisket4_zps3b28be12.jpg

And, no. I did not trim the brisket, because:
A. I want the fat drippings
B. I'd do it this way even if I didn't because I have a secret love affair with beef fat
C. My ass is just plain lazy - which explains the clean grate you see here...

So, more to come, and thanks for checking in!

Hey Lynn, I've got a banjo if you got a get fiddle and we can do dueling briskets!

I'm very interested in the fact that you marinated and injected. Not the usual brisket cook on here. Looking forward to your results.

Marinade will only penetrate up to about 1/4 inch typically, if you do fun with chemistry, you can get it to 1/2". Injecting takes that process all the way through the meat.

If this was truly Big Butz style, there would be a video, and snow. Lots of snow.

Tom sure does make some great sauces and rubs.

Marinade will only penetrate up to about 1/4 inch typically, if you do fun with chemistry, you can get it to 1/2". Injecting takes that process all the way through the meat.

If this was truly Big Butz style, there would be a video, and snow. Lots of snow.

Tom sure does make some great sauces and rubs.

Indeed he does! :thumb::thumb: The teriyaki sauce is very nice too. I was surprised when I saw the Soy Vay is an Oakland, CA company. When injecting though, I have to use a strainer because of the onion, sesame and garlic bits.

The guy who makes SoyVay went to school with my BIL. He loves to tell me that it is the best Teriyaki he has ever had.

One of these days, I am not going to feed him.

This looks like a WINNER! Can you email or PM me a slice of the point with as much fat as you can spare? I have the same affinity for beef fat....

OK. At 167 IT, I poured off the drippings that have collected so far from the pan and placed the brisket in it, loosely foiled over the top to allow steam to escape a bit. Washed 7 smallish Idaho taters (About 3 1/2 LBs) then oiled those with EVOO and dusted with sea salt and cracked black pepper to go on the smoker while the brisket continues cooking. Here's what it looked like right before I panned it...

brisket5_zps5b883950.jpg

Man. The aromas are driving me crazy.

Looking good so far, but really we know who's cooking don't we?:wink:

:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Annnnnd...it's done and resting. Probed all over like buttah at an IT of 205. Most of the first part of the cook was around 280 pit temp. Took it up to 300 but the pit climbed to 330 for a wee bit. 14.4 LBs in 7.5 hours, which surprised me, but it's done when it's done so now it rests in an unheated oven.

Smoked taters...

taters_zps8a951020.jpg

Briskie - some nice bark, not as dark as it looks in the pic but nice...

brisket6_zpsb89fd68a.jpg

brisket7_zps318eb701.jpg

Back