• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grillin in the wind

A

Amateur BBQist

I just upgraded my kenmore 4burner propane grill with a searing burner, and I replaced all of the burners, heat diffusers, and a heat deflector?... A thin metal plate that goes on the inside front of the grill above the burners. Anyways, I was anxious to fire it up. A few days ago, I made a great ribeye! Tonight I tried filet mignon. I seared it for a while on each side then transferred them to the regular burners. It was windy outside and I could hear the flames blowing around in the grill. I maneuvered the grill in many directions but neither worked. The temp in my grill wouldn't reach 300*. The grill design has a large gap in the back of the lid which I have never been a fan of. My grill has never reached over 400* I could never get anything I grilled to cook fast enough, especially when its windy. That's why I added the searing burner. I didn't want to use the searing burner for the entire cook. I also had peppers and squash next to the steaks and they did not heat well enough. So my issue is how would you prevent the wind from blowing heat away from the grill? Should I block the gaps somehow permenantly? Get crafty and build a wall to block the wind on my deck? Help me please.

All gas grills have a pretty good gap in the back it seems, and hardly any of them get really hot enough --- especially in the wind. The searing burners help some, but depends on model/wind/etc.

I have an RCS grill that I am relocating under cover (for several reasons). I have the additional problem that I'm hooked to NG, but it gets pretty hot; if I'm patient (and the weather is agreeable), it will get to 600. However, that ain't hot enough for a **good** steak.

You can't beat the convenience of a gas grill, but sometimes you need an old fashioned grill with lump charcoal so you can get high searing temps (and flavor). I purchased a "state park" grill from Northern Tool for just that purpose.

Others might have different ideas, but I really think gas is for convenience, and lump charcoal is for when you have the time to do it right (steaks in particular).

So, to answer your question --- Keep your gasser, but get a Weber kettle (or such) and some lump.

I have a charcoal grill. Its the bottom of my WSM actually but I don't usually have time to fire up the charcoal. I have spent too much time and money to get this grill to perform and I guess I should have just bought a new one. But since I'm invested too much in this one, my last problem which I didn't think about is the wind.

I have a charcoal grill. Its the bottom of my WSM actually but I don't usually have time to fire up the charcoal. I have spent too much time and money to get this grill to perform and I guess I should have just bought a new one. But since I'm invested too much in this one, my last problem which I didn't think about is the wind.
A full chimney of charcoal starts up in ~15 minutes. If you start the charcoal before you prep the food, it will be ready when the food is...

On a propane rig, as outside temps drop so does the gas pressure in the tank. Pressure/Temperature relation is directly proportional. We're up above 60*F most days of the year here. In MO. not so much. I won't use the gasser below 70*F. I have a Weber GA for quick cooks since it's just the Wife and I.

Lower Outdoor temps affecting cylinder pressure and wind will change the cooking characteristics of your rig big time. Consider a Weber coal rig like a OTS or OTG.

Good luck and Welcome to the forum.

Well... Ya know...
The owner's manual will tell you it's NOT safe to remove the regulator, so you certainly shouldn't try that... ;-)

But if I can turn a knob and press a button when I don't have time for charcoal, I'd rather do that. I don't mind using charcoal and I know the flavor is much better. So my issue for my propane grill is preventing the wind from blowing the flame and pulling heat away.

But if I can turn a knob and press a button when I don't have time for charcoal, I'd rather do that. I don't mind using charcoal and I know the flavor is much better. So my issue for my propane grill is preventing the wind from blowing the flame and pulling heat away.

That's why God made Stovetops. :-D

I'll since I know nothing about removing the regulator, I'll listen to the owners manual.

I just tried to grill a steak and the wind kept blowing the searing burner out. Will a weber charcoal grill be better than a propane grill in the wind?

Yes but..............
No matter what you use in the wind, you'll have to adjust to the situation.
Is it possible for you to just put up a piece of plywood or something as a wind break?
I'm cooking right now on my POS offset in 20+ mph winds and even with the wind break I'm still running hotter than I'd like. All you can do is your best

I used aluminum foil to finally keep the burner lit. Not fun. I guess I will have to build me a good grilling area.

Back