First pork spare ribs

meathead27

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I went out and bought my first 3 racks of fresh pork spare ribs to smoke on saturday. I was looking for some advice or any recipes people want to share. I have smoked ribs multiple times but it was the cheating way (pre-flavored) and I want to take it to the next level. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures of my process starting tomorrow night.

My .02 is make is to make sure they are done. Look for a good pullback on the bones and make sure they pass the bend test. Don't over salt and don't add too much smoke.

Good Luck!

Use a rub... Apply the rub and refrigerate about 4 hours before putting into the smoker.

Below is a suggestion for a basic homemade rub....

======================

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tbsp. granulated onion powder
2 tbsp. granulated garlic powder
2 tbsp. ground oregano
2 tbsp. coarse ground black pepper
1 tbsp. ground white pepper
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. ground mustard

Other items to add for flavor / heat

1 tsp. cayenne (adjust to your liking, you may add more)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. ancho or chipolte powder
1 tsp. ground celery seed

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

======================

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Don't forget to rest the ribs before serving...

+1 on the advise by Toast
And +1 on Chris Lilys rub, also as IamMadMan said let the rub sit on the ribs a while before smoking

Good luck looking forward to the pics

I will be cooking on the Char-broil offset smoker, I guess starting with char-coal to get it going then fueling with wood chunks of hickory the rest of the time.

Along with the normal rub ingredients(minus sugar which I blend to order depending on application) I grind anise, fennel, star anise, coriander, allspice, a couple of clove pods and smoked paprika for my universal rub mix.It works for me in roasting, blackening and anywhere a rub is called for.I was able to get the recipe from Paul Prudhomme`s Sous chef back in the early 80`s when I was a young cook.Like anything in cooking adjustments have to be made depending on the quality and age of the seeds and spices.

Back