View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #11162
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasmadj View Post
Hello. I have seen that concept also, and I think it looks pretty ingenius. My concern is that you have to remove the support brackets if you need access lower than the top rack. So it seems like it would be tough to add coals or water, or switch racks, etc.
I've been using the closet rack system in my BUFORDs for a couple years now. One advantage I have is that I never have to access a water pan or coals as I don't use a water pan and my coal basket is accessible from the bottom side.

Whenever I do multiple grates of meats, I usually rotate the ribs, chicken or butts half way through the smoke. It's quite easy to remove the top 3 brackets. Just wear some welders gloves, lift the top grate, remove the top brackets, pull the second grate up, set the top grate down to the lower brackets, install the three top brackets, set the top grate, takes all of about 30 seconds with probe relocations.

How does the lower racks come out on a regular UDS bolted grate system? Do you have to tilt the grate to get them past the bolts or u-bolts?. No tilting required with the closet rack system.

The closet rack system can be bolted to the drum in case you don't have a welder. Plus, I have cut the bracket lengths down to just a couple inches one one drum.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote