How to pull pork faster

Smoke House Moe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just had my first "legal" catering gig last weekend. Everything went smooth, but the last thing that we were waiting on was the pulling.

I will not adulterate the pork by chopping.

There are many devices out their for faster pulling. What is the best? Bear claws, the pork puller, etc?

Thanks.

I would imagine for pure speed, you'd want to look at the Ro-man pork puller. I've also seen someone use one of those paddles for mixing drywall mud. It took all of about 15 seconds to shred the entire butt.

I have the Roman Pork Puller and can testify that it really does make 'pulled' pork. You CAN overdo it VERY FAST, but if you follow what he says and pulse it just a few times it does a great job and can go through a case of pork butts in a couple minutes. I only do two butts at a time and then dump into pans, two more, dump, etc. If you were using a really big cooler so that the meat wasn't too deep you could pull a whole lot at once if you wanted.

Eight minutes and manual vs. 20-30 seconds. You have your answer and as said it doesn't take much to overdue. No comparison to the Ro-Man tool. Steve.

Hard to beat the Ro-Man or similar device for speed. It isn't as precise as doing by hand.

FTR, I don't think chopping is adulterating pork. I prefer coarsely chopped pork for sandwiches.

watching the youtube video of the roman pork puller it looks like he got very nice product.

For those that use it, do you pull the fat cap first? Are you able to pull chunks of grissel and the large chunks of fat from the product or does it grind them fine?

I pull the fat cap and separate the chunks along the major veins of fat, pulling that out and throwing it away. So I usually end up throwing a butt into the cooler I use in about 5 pieces and then I hit it with the Roman.

I guess I understand "why" you'd want one of those pork pullers, but to me, pulling the pork is park of what makes Qing so fun.

That thing just looked like pork murder.

I guess I understand "why" you'd want one of those pork pullers, but to me, pulling the pork is park of what makes Qing so fun.

That thing just looked like pork murder.

I completely agree, but I surely do see where nthole's hybrid methodology could be used.

For me, personally, and I'm getting ready to do another cook for 100 people who will eat twice (at least) each during the day), there's getting ALL the fat off, and the other part is leaving pieces large enough so that they have a small chance of still being moist 6 hours after being pulled...

I do it by hand, but I do understand that if you dont have enough help that a back-log can happen quickly. Hey, crack the whip! Tell 'em (them thar puller folks) to quit eatin' and pull some for the customers!!!

Correct, you can pull easily when it's the right temp...and still be on the same butt five minutes into. OR be on my third with a puller.
Cooking for self and family = hand pull
Cooking for masses = puller

***Found a blog that suggested using rotisserie spindles and the rotisserie claw as a puller alternative.
Luckily I had some extra's. Let's just say this will work just like the Ro-Man Puller, but I won't be $70 in the hole afterwards. Plus you have two (two spindles, two forks).

Roman pork puller breaks, I had a few. I cook and pull 700lbs a cook and its all done by hand. I am looking into a meat shredder though. They make machines specifically for pulling pork

For doing lots of butts you can't beat a Buffalo chopper.

Made by Hobart. Not sure if I like the look of the final product. Looks a bit to "fine" to me. But it is fast. :wink:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUOAVSOTvQ"]LINK[/ame]

Back