• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pit Blanket

SCSmoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For you fellows like me that don't have insulated pits and like to cook in the cold. What type of insulating blankets do you use. I have a Yoder ys640. I know they make a thermal jacket for it but I don't want to shell out close to $300 for it. Thanks!

I have a Tucker Cooker and can run into temp drops – in fact last year we had a front move through one night and the temp dropped 18 degrees without one drop of rain hitting the smoker.

I purchased 2 “quilted” shipping blankets from a local supply store. They are heavy and machine washable – since we got those weather temps have not bothered us.

True - thick moving blankets with a wool blanket underneath - sitting on the smoker.
Just watch out for the synthetic fiber or poly blends - will melt.
Natural fibers suggested, here.

Been there; done that - scraped the melted fibers off the pit.

I wrap my drum using a Welding blanket from Harbor Freight. About $20. Fold it over and wrap around. Secure with tie down straps. Works amazingly well. You're smoker will be a little harder to wrap. Maybe you can find a little old lady to cut and sow a custom fitting blanket. - Or build a drum! :razz:

For you fellows like me that don't have insulated pits and like to cook in the cold. What type of insulating blankets do you use. I have a Yoder ys640. I know they make a thermal jacket for it but I don't want to shell out close to $300 for it. Thanks!

Love those Yoders. Another route you could go, would be buy an Akorn (insulated Kamado). I'm running mine with frozen precip coming down and holding 250 all day.

I've heard the harbor freight blanket is the most budget friendly. Just drape over the top.

our comp RF loves the cold weather, but a cook 2 years ago had freezing weather and we were in teh low 20's if not colder so i bought the welding blanket from harbor freight and threw over the top of the pit........really didnt have any issues except we froze our butts off

I bought a 6' X 8' welding blanket from harbor freight for $25 and folded it over so it would be 6'L X 4'T and gave it a try today on a high heat cook. It was a little windy but so far the welding blanket has really done a nice job keeping steady temps on my 22" wsm today. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363553276.073329.jpg

It sounds like that Yoder is causing problems. You better give it to me to save yourself the headaches.

:becky:

It sounds like that Yoder is causing problems. You better give it to me to save yourself the headaches.

:becky:

Or send it to me and I'll do some extensive cold weather testing and give you a detail report on what works the best :wink:

pwa

The HF welding blanket works great in 40 mph winds and 30* weather it seems like stuff cooks faster and keeps a steady temp really good.

20130209_070714.jpg

Or send it to me and I'll do some extensive cold weather testing and give you a detail report on what works the best :wink:

pwa
She runs great in the cold, I hope better with the blanket. Yoder just hasn't released their comp cart version of the jacket yet, but mine is on order.

Back