• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brining question - I wanna add some booze

bmonkman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hopefully I will be brining a whole chicken this weekend. Hoping because it depends on whether my order of Game Changer arrives or not.

However, I would like to some American Honey to the brine to add to the flavour profile. Does anyone have a suggestion on how much to add? And I assume I should cut the water by the amount of booze I add, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Personally, I think it's a waste of good hooch. I would suggest that if you're planning on using BBQ Sauce to add a tiny amount to the sauce and let that carry the flavor over. Plus, if it's in the sauce, and the sauce is on-the-side, the other folks eating your Q that dont like the hooch flavor in the BBQ dont have to have it... Just a thought.

I agree with the above post. Save that stuff for drinking while you are cooking.

Yup there way better places to put that stuff and it ain't in the brine but hey give it a go.

I mean, I LOVE bourbon; I drink it straight up; neat or on the rocks, in coke, etc. But, honestly, IMHO, it SUCKS on BBQ. Just my $0.02. I sure wouldnt waste good bourbon by putting it in a brine solution. If I were just hell bent to get that flavor on my Q, I'd put it in the sauce...

<--- that above from a guy who always does Patron shots [for the entire team, and in MBN the team gets quite large] before every category (whether blind turn-in or on-site). But, not IN BBQ... Nasty, IMHO. and a complete waste of good hooch.

I mean, I LOVE bourbon; I drink it straight up; neat or on the rocks, in coke, etc. But, honestly, IMHO, it SUCKS on BBQ. Just my $0.02. I sure wouldnt waste good bourbon by putting it in a brine solution. If I were just hell bent to get that flavor on my Q, I'd put it in the sauce...

<--- that above from a guy who always does Patron shots [for the entire team, and in MBN the team gets quite large] before every category (whether blind turn-in or on-site). But, not IN BBQ... Nasty, IMHO. and a complete waste of good hooch.

I'm thinking there's the answer you need right there.

It may actually dry out the meat, think of the de-icer you pour into a gas tank.
Many years ago I marinated some really nice rib eyes in a red wine the flavor from the wine was fine, but the meat was tough and dry, never did that again.

Ignore the critics. Wines & spirits have been used in marinades for centuries. For interest check out the link below (it also leads to other links).

http://www.food.com/recipe/bourbon-marinade-93773

Also I do not hold high any comments from anyone who cooks a steak to well done - a well done steak has lost some of its essential moisture. Just to balance that a rare steak hasn't developed its flavour from the caramelisation - I go for medium rare!!!!!

Back