Yea that's the one that pop into my head. Have you looked at the photo gallery? Go to the bottom hit ugly drum then. Photo gallery there are a lot to learn from there

Yea that's the one that pop into my head. Have you looked at the photo gallery? Go to the bottom hit ugly drum then. Photo gallery there are a lot to learn from there
Wait, where exactly is the photo gallery? I can't find it at the bottom of the home page.

Sparky

never mind...found it.

Last edited:
Ran 11 1/2 hours, averaged 238*. Several tweeks, prob me being anal.
Could possible run longer @ a lower temp like for an all nighter.
Over all good results.
Will check the charcoal basket in the morning.
Ribs this weekend.

Later
Jim

DSC_0282.jpg

I was thinking it was a little too big, when I slid the thing into the drum.

I have some offcuts of expanded metal from the huge sheet that I bought to make the basket. I plan to bolt together a strip and use it as a smaller circle insert for this basket, so I will have the best of both worlds.

I will upload another pic, once I have it mocked up.

Has anyone ever made a step by step guide with pictures or a video for uds creation?

There is just so much info here its totally overwhelming and I'm unsure where to even start..... I'm not especially handy when it comes to diy.

I'm hoping someone with some experience will have made something they can share.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Also on You Tube

This is a time line and temps on the smoker.

9:15 set up charcoal basket with 10 - 12lbs of Kingsford original briquiets and about 5 pecan chunks.
started the coals by the minion method about 12 coals ashed over into the center of the basket.
Also started with all three intakes open (two have pipe caps and one with a valve).
9:25 200* capped off one intake , set valve @ 1/2 open
9:55 running @ 240*, one intake open , valve @ 1/2 open
10:02 245* climbing slow, cut back valve to 1/3
10:15 253* cut back valve to 1/4
10:30 250* left alone
10:55 255* closed valve
11:15 165* capped 2nd intake set valve @ 2/3
11:30 225* Opened one intake and reset valve to 1/2
12:20 250* 1 open valve @ 1/2
12:30 250* trying something 2 capped valve @ wide open
12:55 225* I intake open valve @ 1/4
1:25 250* 1 open closed valve to 1/8 approx
1:40 245* :grin:
2:14 240* :grin:
2:45 235* opened valve a touch
3:40 230* again opened valve to prob 1/4 shook coal basket for ash build up
4:00 225* small adj on valve
4:25 230* :grin:
4:51 240* small touch on valve
5:40 240* :grin:
6:15 220* ? opened valve (getting shady)
7:00 225* opened valve to 1/2
8:20 233* left alone
9:00 238* shut it down.

I burned about 2/3 rds of the charcoal ... I'm saving the un-burned to reuse. This this seems to very efficient and a steady temp run.
I guess it'll take a little playing with to really find a sweet spot setting to be able to run all night.

Peddler, I go a similar route, with a couple exceptions. If I am shooting for 240-250, I start with 2 intakes uncapped & the valve open all the way. I cap one at 200 & the second at 225. If its still climbing steady at 235, I will close the valve 1/2. My drum likes to run about 260-265 with just the ball valve open all the way, so I may bump it open a little if stalls at 235 or drops. I'm happy as long as I stay with 10* (plus or minus) of my target temp.

I'm starting my UDS build this weekend. I figured it was important to get the right drum (no red liner, no weirdness), so I went ahead and got a new, unlined 55 gallon drum (open head, bolted) from the Cary Company in Addison, IL. I live close, so I was able to swing by a few hours ago and pick it up from the freight dock, but for $65 ($55 refurbished unlined) also available.

They deliver and ship, but if you're in the Chicago area (and near Addison, IL -- about 25 miles west of Chicago) I highly recommend this place to get a new or refurbished drum. Great folks to deal with -- and once they knew what I was using it for, they made it a point to double-check to make sure it wasn't lined, undented, and shiny and new. Definitely worth the $$$ -- especially now I concentrate on the build and not scraping or burning any liners.

http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/steel_drums.html

(No affiliation with the company -- just happy they took the time to make sure I got exactly what I was looking for.)

help

need some help on picking a good quality thermometer.....i have read the whole thread and shame on me for not taking notes.....but in a sport where temps are key...i want to use temp gauge and food probe gauge......any input will help...thanks

joe

I'm useing a $3.99 turkey fryer Thermo from Academy as well as a Chaney Acu-rite meat probe about $15.99. Checked both in boiling water and both read the same.

Turkey Thermo w 12" probe

DSC_0281.jpg

Acu-rite meat probe

DSC_0282.jpg

Back