Trigg Rib Shigg From "BBQ Pitmasters"

So now you are taking swipes at Jorge?

I'll leave it at that. But you might want to notice the term "Moderator" under his name....

You're really reachin' here.

Boshizzle, thanks for this thread. It has been a good read. :cool:

So now you are taking swipes at Jorge?

I'll leave it at that. But you might want to notice the term "Moderator" under his name....

Taking swipes?

You two basically called Joe a thief. I think his response was constrained.

I too, revere Johnny Trigg. What he did for Paul demonstrated what a good man he truly is.

But I'd wager, if you suggested to Johnny that someone who watched that segment and took notes was "shigging"... he'd laugh.

I can almost hear Myron's response:

"Of course he took some damn notes. Shows he's smart."

The top of the thread states that this thread is nothing more than a glimpse into how Trigg cooks BBQ. It's not substitute for his class and it certainly isn't exhaustive in content. It's just a glimpse. Most people that I know hold Trigg in high regard just as I do. If anything, this thread is a tribute to him and his contribution to BBQ.

Everything in this thread was made available to us freely through the good will and generosity of Johnny Trigg. If someone can improve their ribs from the tips that Trigg has shared, It think that's a great thing. If someone decides that honey and Tiger sauce is too sweet and won't use Parkay, that's OK too. This isn't an evangelism thread to convert anyone to sweet ribs or using margarine and foil.

As it says in at the top of the thread, it's just a glimpse into how a champion cook makes award winning BBQ.

So, can we all just agree on that?

Bohizzle - For what it's worth at this point, I'm undertstanding your perspective to a degree.

Some will have opposing views for varying reasons (ex. paid for the class, friend of instructor or some who don't think it's right to spread info that may not have been intended to be spread) and that's understandable and OK too.

You're posts have not broken any rules (here) and you are not divulging anything more than anyone else could have gathered if they wanted to. You've chosen to do your homework based on publically available info. In some ways similar to an opposing NFL football team that studies hours of game film of their competition every week trying to get an edge. The only real difference is you're sharing what you've uncovered with others that didn't.

You also noted in the last sentence of your original post " What Trigg didn’t share was his skill. If you try this and don’t have the same results Trigg has had, don’t be surprised."

Long and short of it, is that there's no right or wrong here.. only opinion.

OK. Mr. Shizzle and myself exchanged PMs yesterday. I think we are pretty clear on where each other stands. Unless I'm mistaken, we are good.

Now if anybody else would like to weigh in on that issue, you can feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

The final issue.....Yes, I am a moderator. I'm also a member, and the same rules apply to everyone here. If I'm not performing a moderator function, feel free to challenge me all day long. I don't get any special pass.

OK. Mr. Shizzle and myself exchanged PMs yesterday. I think we are pretty clear on where each other stands. Unless I'm mistaken, we are good.

Now if anybody else would like to weigh in on that issue, you can feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

The final issue.....Yes, I am a moderator. I'm also a member, and the same rules apply to everyone here. If I'm not performing a moderator function, feel free to challenge me all day long. I don't get any special pass.

Mr. Shizzle is good.

BTW - The mods on this board are among the best on the Internet. I mod two boards myself (non-BBQ realted) and know that it's a tough job sometimes and takes a lot of time. I believe that Moderators have every right to participate in discussions just as any other member. The great thing about this discussion is Jorge didn't use his moderator status to squelch or end the spirited discussion. There is a time for mods to step in and I think the mods here do a great job of finding the balance. If you think they don't, you haven't spent much time on many other boards.

Jorge,

No biggie. One thing that impressed me about the brothern is the passion we all share about BBQ... and that's a good thing. That shows me that you care, and people who care sometimes go a little overboard, even mods. I don't really know you (I'm pretty new here), but anyone who quotes Frank Zappa is cool in my book, and I'd leave you with these final words of wisdom:

"Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow!"

As to the devices/techniques gleaned by watching the show, a few things come to mind:

When you watch Trigg lay down all that honey, brown sugar, and Parkay, it's important to remember other comments from the shows:

Judges like "sweet," so the use of these ingredients may just be an attempt to match a local flavor profile. And, as Myron has said, many of these judges of BBQ aren't really judges at all: they're a bunch of people who attended a lecture and were given a card that says judge. They're there to eat. That's probably why Johnny doesn't care to eat the type of BBQ he cooks for competition. So, the real lesson is this: trigg showed a little of what he did for "that" competition, not the real secrets he uses for himself.

Johnny Trigg mentioned this thread on the BBQ Central radio show on March 2, 2010. You can hear his comments at about 39:25 into the program.

Here is a link to the broadcast - http://www.bbq-4-u.com/bbstalkradioshow.xml .

He sure did mention it. I was right, if someone told him this was shigging, he'd laugh, and that's exactly what he did.

By the way, thanks for the link to that site. Lots of great interviews on it!

Johnny Trigg mentioned this thread on the BBQ Central radio show on March 2, 2010. You can hear his comments at about 39:25 into the program.

Here is a link to the broadcast - http://www.bbq-4-u.com/bbstalkradioshow.xml .

Thanks Boshizzle for the link.
If I had not read your post this I would have missed this show. This show is an hour long and one great interview with Johnny Trigg.

No doubt about it, Johnny is a class act! Thanks again for the link.:clap2:

Thanks for the radio link that will be nice to get some tips from.

OK the Trigg shigg may be updated based on the info he gave away on Pitmasters 3? I did see him using both Tiger Sauce and Lawry's (I think) I did not save it on the DVR so I will have to catch it on again and see if he gave any info tha is not in the OP.

Ah, the ol' Trigg shig. So much that Johnny showed but so little that he shared. It was still a lot fun though.

Ah, the ol' Trigg shig. So much that Johnny showed but so little that he shared. It was still a lot fun though.

Trigg shared bro... it was just that the class was intended as a comp class. As good as a cook as you are, you probably didn't need it.

Back