BBQ Jamboree in Fredericksburg, is this normal?

walrus79

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Though we're a relatively new team (3 kcbs events), some of the things that are happening for the BBQ Jamboree seem odd and wondered if other teams were having similar issues or questions as us.

First, what time is the cooks meeting? I've seen 11:00am and 1:00pm Friday posted on their web site.

Secondly, is this time odd? It seems as though many teams travel on Friday morning and arrive and set up when they can, typically in the afternoon, late afternoon or early evening.

Thirdly, we're required to do a supplied pork People's Choice for the public. Because of this we've had to jump through hoops to fill out lot's of paperwork from the health inspector and now purchase some extra food safety equipment (minor stuff, but an extra trip to RD). They've asked the health inspector to be done inspecting us by 11:00am Friday. There's simply no way my team can be onsite and set up at that time even though we're local. The inspector said they didn't need to inspect us if we weren't serving to the public (Guess they don't care if we poison judges), but we've told the PC is required.

Lastly, are some of these things normal? Like, I said, we've only done three comps, but we didn't have to jump through any hoops like this. Thank god it's the closest one to our homebase!

Any and all information is appreciated, I'm sure it will all work out, but any feedback would be welcomed. The organizer has been good about communication and the inspector was very nice. This is not a rant about them, just some of the timing/logisitics issues that seem to be way different than most comps...I could also be way off base here, so don't be afraid to put me in my place brethren. Thanks

Health inspector called back and they're doing two shifts of inspections, 9-11:00am and 2-4:00pm. This helps big time...now just have to get a teammate to the 11:00am (which the H.I. confirmed) cook's meeting! It will all work out and we're looking forward to it and meeting more teams!

I'm not nearly as seasoned as some of the other cooks in here, I have cooked several competitions, and in my experience:

11:00 seems quite early to me to be having a cooks' meeting. I may have been to one as early as 13:00 before, but I don't think before noon.

I've been to events where PC was strongly requested and others where ancillaries are "required." I may have been to one or two where PC was required, but it would be the exception in my experience.

Btw, who pays for your HD license? You or the organizer? Have you asked the organizer what repercussions they would take if you don't cook PC? Tell him you don't have cooker space. It might make life easier for you to refuse if you just don't care....

dmp

The event is paying the $40 fee for all the teams. We don't mind doing it and dealing with the extra requirements, we're just making sure we have the folks on hand for all the meetings, inspections, etc...

It will be interesting hearing the feedback from the teams that cook this contest. Load in time being cut off at noon Friday, basically forcing the teams that travel to come in on Thursday night. Cook meeting at 1:00pm Friday seems early. The free samples etc to the public would be a pain to deal with.

Yeah, the more I think about this and discuss with my teammates, it's going to be a PITA. I have to imagine we're not the only team having to make unusual plans for this one!

None of it seems "normal" to me but I guess an organizer has a lot of lattitude on these things. Then again, teams have a lot of choices, too. Cook the events that look appealing and pass on those that look like they will be a PITA.

This one is our 1st comp, so it is all new to us. I thought 11am was pretty early too, but too much of a newb to question it.

I would pass on this contest. Or just not do pc. Oops wasn't cooked in time and couldn't serve it. Ii'd love to her what the hd inspects. Be sure to have bleach test strips.

Yep. If I were a paying contestant, I always refuse the Friday Night PC. It's a PIA. If it were required, I'd go elsewhere.

I just got a call from the health department for this event and if you have an RV (like my team) no food handeling or dish washing can be done in the RV so you must bring a full 3 tub dish washing station and an outside hand washing station.

If it was not too late to back out of this nightmare I would!!!!!!!!!! Never again!!!!!!!!

I was going to do this one until I saw all of the hoops. So I decided to do naptown.

We planned to do this one but after the PC we backed out. We were going to visit our Contest in Training requirement , but the Contest organizers seemed very difficult to deal with . They seem really about the money and doesnt seem like they care about the cookers. $5000 is not a lot of prize money for the hassle. Please let me know how the contest went. I hope I am wrong.

I agree that the PC is a hassle because of the HD requirement but that only goes for the supplied meat that is being provided for PC. The meat cooked for the KCBS comp is handled according to KCBS rules. But, all that's needed is three bins for washing utensils (wash, rinse, bleach) and a 5 gallon hot water cooler with a bucket under the spigot with soap and paper towels to wash your hands. Those things probably aren't a bad idea when cooking anytime outdoors.

Also, in my experience, the organizers have been very flexible in making changes to schedules and other accommodations for teams. I spoke with the organizer today about the 11am cook's meeting and they agreed to move it to later in the day around 5pm. This is the organizers' first KCBS event. They will learn from this one and make improvements.

I'd also suggest that you would be better served sharing your concerns with the organizer rather than posting complaints on discussion board. They will listen and will do what they can to accommodate your needs.

One other thing, the supplied meat for the PC will be two boneless pork butts.

Giant Cluster Fark so far, but this being my first comp ever it has only got to get better from here.

Map this is not the norm so please do not let deter from competing in other contests! Have fun and hit your marks!

• Thanks
Reactions: MAP
I spoke with the organizer today about the 11am cook's meeting and they agreed to move it to later in the day around 5pm.

Hopefully they will send out a notice to everyone because I have not heard anything about the cooks meeting being moved to a later time.

From the contact we have had with the organizers, they have been very flexible.

The HD requirements are from the county and not them. These seem to be the biggest headaches about the event. It is a pain. I just spent $100 on food grade hoses and backflow attachment. Getting the chlorine test strips today. Otherwise, we were up to code with the rest. I think.:icon_shy

I'm excited to do our 1st event. I was in the Fredericksburg area yesterday and drove by the event just to know exactly where the entrance was. Easier that way when I have a fully loaded truck pulling a trailer.

Hopefully they will send out a notice to everyone because I have not heard anything about the cooks meeting being moved to a later time.

From the contact we have had with the organizers, they have been very flexible.

The HD requirements are from the county and not them. These seem to be the biggest headaches about the event. It is a pain. I just spent $100 on food grade hoses and backflow attachment. Getting the chlorine test strips today. Otherwise, we were up to code with the rest. I think.:icon_shy

I'm excited to do our 1st event. I was in the Fredericksburg area yesterday and drove by the event just to know exactly where the entrance was. Easier that way when I have a fully loaded truck pulling a trailer.

I agree the organizers have been very plesant and helpful it is the HD that is being the big pain in the A$$

Back