big green egg dutch oven

ALLENY

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
i am thinking about getting the big green egg dutch oven. it is a 5 quart dutch oven and is $60. does anyone have ne of these? and if so, do you like it? my other option is to get a lodge 8 quart dutch oven for about $10 more. any advise is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely go Lodge and definitely go bigger. I have a 5 qt enameled DO that I use for indoor cooking and I ALWAYS wish it were bigger. Get the 8 qt Lodge and you'll be happy. I have the 8 qt too, but it was neglected for a while so I need to strip and reaseason it. In the meantime, I'm cursing that stupid 5 qt DO in my kitchen...

Saw a test on DO and a cheap $39 Tramontina 6.5 qt. did very good,this DO is also sold at SAMs club and has an exclusive SS lid hold.

But it is ceramic coated and more prone to chip but that also has other advantages.

They say they won't carry it after supplies are gone,it's very heavy cast iron and works as well as any other.

Saw a test on DO and a cheap $39 Tramontina 6.5 qt. did very good,this DO is also sold at SAMs club and has an exclusive SS lid hold.

But it is ceramic coated and more prone to chip but that also has other advantages.

They say they won't carry it after supplies are gone,it's very heavy cast iron and works as well as any other.

Ceramic dutch ovens are usually only oven/pit safe up to about 450*. Not a good choice for a pit dutch oven, fine if you just want it for indoor use. Lodge's bare cast iron is made in the USA and can take decades of abuse.

And the Sams' Club DO is made in China. If I were looking at a Ceramic DO I'd much rather spend the $20 more and get the Kirkland DO from Costco that is made in France and is very high quality. While it's true they all perform exactly the same initially, the cheaper ceramic coatings chip easily.

Just make sure the 8 qt will fit in your egg. I have a medium BGE and the 6 qt I have will fit, but only with the plate setter turned upside down over the bed of lump. My DO does have feet on it that raises it up a bit, but I like that because the DO isn't sitting flat on the plate setter. The lid for this one also arches up. It fits in, but just barely. I love it for doing chuckies and such.

Just make sure the 8 qt will fit in your egg. I have a medium BGE and the 6 qt I have will fit, but only with the plate setter turned upside down over the bed of lump. My DO does have feet on it that raises it up a bit, but I like that because the DO isn't sitting flat on the plate setter. The lid for this one also arches up. It fits in, but just barely. I love it for doing chuckies and such.

i have a large bge . the do has a flat top but does have legs. do you think it will fit?

Back