Bagna cauda

A few moments ago my husband came into the room and said "my BBQ forum has 6 pages on Bagna Caulda". Not believing this I came in and read all the entries. My Northern Italian family have been making BC since my Nona came from Piedmont in 1909 and this is not anything like an authentic Bagna Caulda (Hot Bath). We traditionally make this on Christmas Eve. Here goes the recipe.
4 sticks of butter
1 head of garlic minced
8 tins of anchovies
heavy cream (exact amt I don't know, about 1/2 C)

heat until butter melted and hot. Serve like a fondue or on a hot plate.Serve with Chianti, crusty Italian bread, cabbage, celery, green peppers, mushrooms, or anything you like.
My husband will not eat it, the fool, and he claims the towels I use the next morning reek of garlic. Sounds like a good thing to me. Martha Stewart of all people has a recipe too.
I will survey my family and see if the mushroom soup one is worth a try.

hmmm

1 lb. melted butter (4- sticks - Check)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (or 4 cans of cream of mushroom soup)
1 tube anchovy paste or 1 can of anchovies (8 tins - wow! that's a LOT of anchovies)
1/2 cup minced garlic (1 head - close enough - Check)
1 pint heavy cream (Check)

Me thinks the only differences between the one you posted and the one Bigmista posted is the amount of anchovies was scaled down and cream of mushroom/chicken soup was added to compensate.

I made this over the holidays and it was a huge hit (and yes all Italians) :thumb:

We also served in fondue manner

Another thumbs up here on Bigmista's recipe. I made it for Christmas, and everyone except the wife loved it. If fact, a couple of my son's friends put huge spoonfuls of it on top of their prime rib. :shocked:

I will say tho, the warnings concerning the after effects are valid. About a dozen showers and I'm still sweating garlic. :icon_blush:

Made the Mista version again for Christmas Day this year. My family already loved it. Had some new friends there and they........well, wanted to bathe in it! They ate it like SOUP! By the bowlful. Bread, as gravy on mashed potatoes, even had some as a pasta sauce that day. It was great. I still smell like garlic!

I'm going to making this on 4th of July weekend and thought I'd revisit it here to remind the old folks and show it off to the new folks. I haven't made this in years. Glad Mrs. Mista brought it up!

It's always good. I know you will enjoy it again.

I make a more traditional version of this. Making it tonight. Soooooooo Gooooooood!

Man this looks off the chain good. Paused the diet for Christmas so might as well go all-out.

I've looked at this for the past couple of years, but I just can't bring myself to add all that condensed soup. Regular Bagna Cauda is just SOOOO good.

I've looked at this for the past couple of years, but I just can't bring myself to add all that condensed soup. Regular Bagna Cauda is just SOOOO good.

I hear ya! But... this recipe is amazing!

That's plenty, you're looking for the salty, briny flavor in the background. It won't taste fishy.

That's plenty, you're looking for the salty, briny flavor in the background. It won't taste fishy.

Thanks, I am going to try to make half of the original recipe. Might smoke some mini meatballs for dipping.

I halved the recipe for a test tonight. I didn't love it at first bite, but it did keep me going back for more. I think operator error contributed though. I got the pre minced garlic in the jar and when I added it in I think there was a fair amount of liquid from the jar in there. Obviously I expected a heavy garlic taste, but I think the liquid took it a little too far. Crusty bread was a great recommendation though. I will have to try this again

Yeah, if you use the jarred garlic, at a minimum, double up the amount.

Y’all are going to force me to make this...

This is highly addictive. Just made it, and I can't even wait for the bread to get out of the oven, I could eat it by the spoonful.

OK, I've decided to finally try this version. In the past I've always made the traditional version.

Back