Rotisserie Wedding Cake

Jonny Rotisserie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Q fans,

Below is an entry I prepared for the special Zero Throwdown. I thought some others here in the big swimming pool might enjoy seeing some quality cake pRon as well.

For this special Zero contest, I felt I needed to pull out all the stops and prepare a recipe that I had long been considering: rotisserie wedding cake. I have always been a proponent of cooking everything via rotisserie, so this would be a good way to put my cooking mettle to the test. As an honorary double entrant in the Zero Club, clearly my cooking credentials were on the line here.

As this was a first attempt, I did not start completely from scratch, but instead focused on form and getting a nice smoky finish on the wedding cake.

I figured the cake might need some reinforcement, so I gave it a foil garter belt of sorts. That would also prevent the government from hearing the cake’s thoughts. Toothpicks were added to help better attach the happy couple to the cake.

IMG_0495.JPG

Here they are all iced up and ready for the big moment:

IMG_0499.JPG

I thought I would go with a nice indirect heat using a mix of charcoal and almond wood. Well, it turned out that despite keeping a modest fire, the cake cooked a bit faster than anticipated, which can be seen in this video: http://youtu.be/--biih-h8eM

Things didn't go well. Quickly.

IMG_0506.JPG

I may need to modify the recipe a bit as the happy couple only made it a couple revolutions. I was able to salvage it into something that was assuredly a mighty tasty dessert with quite a variety of colors and textures.

This was my entry shot:
IMG_0515.JPG

Admittedly there are better things to cook on a rotisserie than wedding cakes, but I am still cautiously optimistic that with some recipe tweaks I may have a winner here.

Thanks for looking!

--Jonny Rotisserie

Just think... years from now, they can celebrate their anniversary of the carnage. :wink:

THAT right there is farkin HILARIOUS! I'm sorry but I'm cracking up! Best post EVER! Jonny... awesomeness...

Maybe a denser cake??:wink:

Cheers

Thanks Phrasty!

Denser cake--great suggestion. I'll put that on the list for future improvements. I am confident that as a group we can come up with the best rotisserie wedding cake ever.

--Jonny Rotisserie

THAT is farkin hilarious!

I particularly liked your play-by-play on the video.
"OH NOOOOOOO!!!!!"

:laugh:

What's next? Rotisserie pudding?:thumb:

I'm curious how the cake tasted with the smoke flavor? I bet it was delicious. The only thing that could have been better is if you would have added ........... bacon :-D

I think you needed more foil to hold it together!:thumb:
More foil, check! It's now on the list for future improvements.

There is, of course, a delicate balance that has to be played, though. On the down side, more foil would mean less smokey flavor in the cake, and it may be trickier to eat.

On the upside, it should hold together better (note to self: be sure to wrap the foil all the way around next time and not just part way) and it would be even less likely that the govment would be able to know what the cake is thinking.

All food for thought for sure.

--Jonny Rotisserie

Back