Question about the battle for spectators

grillnputt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I see info all over the place about the competition but nothing for the little guy who wants to come see you guys. Is there a link for info on attending this event? (Woops, event in Manorville on the 6th and 7th.)

Sorry to ask again, but I only see flyer for competitors. Are spectators allowed to come any time? What is the admission fee? Will there be food for sale? I can't believe I can't find a flyer for the general public.

attachment.php

Hi,

The public is welocmed and encouraged to attend. There will be live music all weekend, food for sale from RUB BBQ (great restaurant and people), cooking demos, a car show, some spectator intensive aspects of the competition and lots and lots of adult beverages for those that like to imbibe.

In addition, there will be a a ton of friendly Brethren who love talking 'Q.

Admission is a recommended $3.00 donation to the Make a Wish Foundation.

Come by and say 'hi'!

Eric

I will be offering golf carts rides for $5
Don't let him fool you,folks. It's a barbie corvette with the rear tires worn smooth and a seat that smells like day old farts.

Offer $2.

BBQ events can be a huge let down for "spectators". Unless there is some sort of festival going on or you were invited by a team there will nothing for you to do, or eat and nowhere to sit and hangout. Spectators beware! You may have a great time or wish you stayed home watching I Dream of Jeannie reruns.

BBQ events can be a huge let down for "spectators". Unless there is some sort of festival going on or you were invited by a team there will nothing for you to do, or eat and nowhere to sit and hangout. Spectators beware! You may have a great time or wish you stayed home watching I Dream of Jeannie reruns.

I totally agree, I would only o if I knew somebody. We are jus fat guys in a field cooking, what's interesting about that?

This particular event has a custom car show as well as a very drunk willie b. I think drunk Willie is way more entertaining than the car show

Last weekend at the Western Maine comp, there were tons of people looking to see what was going on during the Sunday morning chaos. We had our cookers out front, which drew plenty of fellas all pointing and talking. After chicken turn in, I left the "leftovers" sitting out on our kettle for them to look at. You'd be surprised at the attention. Of course several wanted to eat, but most understood that they couldnt. It was good enough for most just to look. I tried to talk to as many as possible while I was out front probing. I think we as teams can help to make it more enjoyable without having to hand out food.

Thanks for all the replies. Hey sledneck, I met you at Will's in Bay Shore. I'm sad it's not there now. The Barbie ride would be great (for $2 of course) as long as I was eating some of Phil's Prime Rib. You all need to run a comp like on the food network where all the spectators get to eat your fine Q.

Thanks for all the replies. Hey sledneck, I met you at Will's in Bay Shore. I'm sad it's not there now. The Barbie ride would be great (for $2 of course) as long as I was eating some of Phil's Prime Rib. You all need to run a comp like on the food network where all the spectators get to eat your fine Q.

I am sure there are some teams that wouldn't mind offering Que to the public but the Board of Health says otherwise.

Last weekend at the Western Maine comp, there were tons of people looking to see what was going on during the Sunday morning chaos. We had our cookers out front, which drew plenty of fellas all pointing and talking. After chicken turn in, I left the "leftovers" sitting out on our kettle for them to look at. You'd be surprised at the attention. Of course several wanted to eat, but most understood that they couldnt. It was good enough for most just to look. I tried to talk to as many as possible while I was out front probing. I think we as teams can help to make it more enjoyable without having to hand out food.
I absolutely agree. Because I cook with very minimal equipment, I get quite a few folks stopping by to ask questions because we don't have a large, trailer mounted cooker. We're using, basically, the same equipment that they have in their back yards. I have been asked exactly twice 'How can I get some of the food?' and I explain that we aren't set up for vending and point them in the direction of the folks who are set up for vending. That takes care of that.

But if you're a spectator who wants to learn more about how to cook BBQ, just stop by a team's site and say hello. Ask a few questions and you can pretty much tell if someone is willing to visit with you. Just don't do that Saturday morning or during turn in times.

Who you calling fat Sled? :rolleyes: I used to be a normal sized guy! :doh:

There are a few events like this in Houston. The Harris County Fair BBQ Cookoff comes to mind. They charge the public $10.00 a head to get a wrist band to get in. There is not one thing going on at that cookoff besides comp teams cooking and several private parties. No food, no fair, no rides, nothing! I have seen a great many folks go away mad over the years . There are others that have the entire town setup to party, food, a parade, live music, rides, and all kinds of other fun stuff and all are welcome. You do have to pick and choose.

As a side note, when I got away from cooking the Houston circuit and started to cook the south central Texas area I went to several competitions and introduced my self around to the local cooks and it wasn't long before I was one of the boys. I encourage you to take this approach and submerge yourself in the local BBQ scene. That way you'll always have a fat guy to sit next to. :heh:

Having the Reverend WillyB hold Saturday Night service is worth the price of admission. I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants last year.

Back