• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Boston Butt Temp Question (Updated)

gad99sten

Reaction score
Ok...I put two five pound butts on my BGE starting at 8 last night. Got up this morning at 7 and the internal temp is 185. I don't have temp gauge for the grate, but the dome gauge was reading 250 when I went to bed and 230 when i got up. I got the dome temp back to 250 and came to the office. Just got a call from the house that the internal temp is only 186. it has only gone up 1 degree in two hours and temp is holding at 250 on the egg.

This is my first low and slow on this thing...do i ride it out or is that to long to be haning at that temp? Thanks!

Last edited:
Wrap it in foil and place back onto the Egg. It will climb pretty fast from there. Take it to 200º wrap in old towels and place into an old cooler for 2-4 hours.

They've hit the plateau. Concur with what Midnight Smoke said. Get 'em in foil and they'll shoot up.

My only problem is my mom is at the house keeping the kids...she has no idea how to work an egg. Will the meat be ok until i get home for lunch or does it need to be wrapped now? Will the meat come out of this plateau?

My only problem is my mom is at the house keeping the kids...she has no idea how to work an egg. Will the meat be ok until i get home for lunch or does it need to be wrapped now? Will the meat come out of this plateau?

People do it all the time. :wink: The question is, will it be on to long by lunch, you never know! Have Mom watch it and if it gets close to 200º have her wrap and put into cooler.

She is watching my internal meat thermometer and is going to take it off if it ever reaches 195. Will it dry the meat out to let it cook in this plateau until i get home for lunch?

Thanks guys! I will Ride it out! Just didn't want it to be dry...I always have a stall in heat rising at 150-160. Never had it stall this long at this high of a temp. Only nine degrees to go. Cheers!

I was reading a different thread, and a member was talking about bbqing and patients...so if the magic is happening when the meat hit this plateau, if there was enough time would it be better to leave the meat reach 200* on its own or wrap it in foil to speed the process along?

Dave

Yup, wait for it. It will happen. You'll know when it's ready by feel and when you jiggle the bone.:nod:

Just called the house and the temp is still at 186...that is 3 hours with no change in temp. Wft! The dome temp is at 270 which i'm assuming grate temp is 230ish.

I will move the probe when i get home....i hate to pull out at the last second, but i may finish this thinG in the oven. I am scared this is going to be a piece of jerky when i get home.

I will move the probe when i get home....i hate to pull out at the last second, but i may finish this thinG in the oven. I am scared this is going to be a piece of jerky when i get home.

To plateau temp is a little high to me too. Do you have another Thermo to check with? Are both Butts at the same temp. 5lb Butts should not be taking so long to me. On the Egg, do you have the Fire ring set so the intake is lined up? I assume you do have a Plate Setter. If yes, is the it positioned so the heat can rise to the Dome Thermo direct. Probably has nothing to do with it but something seems off.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1635083 said:
To plateau temp is a little high to me too. Do you have another Thermo to check with? Are both Butts at the same temp. 5lb Butts should not be taking so long to me. On the Egg, do you have the Fire ring set so the intake is lined up? I assume you do have a Plate Setter. If yes, is the it positioned so the heat can rise to the Dome Thermo direct. Probably has nothing to do with it but something seems off.

I do have another thermometer to check with. Both butts were 5lbs but i only put a thermo. in one butt. Yes the fire ring is set in the exact same manner as the intake opening at the bottom. The plate setter is in the egg, but what do you mean do I have it positioned so the heat can rise? I have it positioned with legs up and grate on the legs with butt on the grate. Thanks!

The plate setter is in the egg, but what do you mean do I have it positioned so the heat can rise? I have it positioned with legs up and grate on the legs with butt on the grate. Thanks!

Your Welcome. What I am saying is, if you place the Plate Setter with one leg directly in the front (under the dome thermo) it does make a difference in the dome readings because the heat is indirect. I place mine so the leg is to one side of the Dome Therm for direct heat to it.

I have done both ways and it does make a difference especially in the beginning of the long cooks. Indirect will read lower temps at the Therm. It does not really matter which way you do it once you know the Egg, but you said it is new to you so you are still learning it.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1635111 said:
Your Welcome. What I am saying is, if you place the Plate Setter with one leg directly in the front (under the dome thermo) it does make a difference in the dome readings because the heat is indirect. I place mine so the leg is to one side of the Dome Therm for direct heat to it.

I have done both ways and it does make a difference especially in the beginning of the long cooks. Indirect will read lower temps at the Therm. It does not really matter which way you do it once you know the Egg, but you said it is new to you so you are still learning it.

For sure still learning...I have only cooked on it 7 times and this is my first slow cook. I just don't understand this current issue. The egg held temperature beautifully and never once fell below 230 dome temp. Only thing I can guess is my thermo isn't correct

Back