• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mini UDS

Mister Bob, that thing is impressive, you really pulled one off.

The Mini Cajun Bandit RAWKS!

And its more versatile than the Mini BDS http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

Just sayin'

It may be more versatile...but I need a timeframe here...Im dying to use this little smokey joe for a mini smoker. :boxing:

I made the Mini UDS from a 40 quart stainless stock pot. It's 14" diameter and about 15" high. The cooking grate from the Weber Smokey Joe is a little under 14", and you can find the Smokey Joe on sale for less than $30 new. The dome fits perfectly and I used the 10" charcoal grate too.

For extra cooking grids, I used charcoal grates for the 18.5" Weber Kettle. They measure just under 14" too. The're less than $10 each at Home Depot.

The intakes are 1/2" steel nipples, and that's a 1/2" ball valve on the front.
If anyone needs more detail than that, feel free to PM me.

Nice job Mister Bob!!! - that'll be my next project. I already sourced a free SJ - next i need the pot - and on with the construction

I made a couple of minor modifications to the Mini UDS today. I added two thermometers, 1/2" below each of the cooking grates. I also made a charcoal basket. It's 7-1/2" diameter and 3" high. That's exactly 50 briquettes in there. Based on trial runs without the basket, it should run at least 6 hours on one load now. I'll find out tomorrow.

MiniUDS00011.jpg

MiniUDS00010.jpg

I was in my garage today and I stumbled upon a little weber grill some one gave me years ago. Then took my turkey fryer set it on the grill and put the lid on.
Fits pretty nice.
Looks like I will be making a mini UDS as well.
I will need to get another pot because this one is for my turkey fryer and I dont want to cut into it!!
Looks pretty doable to me....No?

Sorry for the chity cell pics,
weber.jpg

mini.jpg

I actually like the simplicity of the tamale pot with the intake vents than using the bottom half of the SJ.

Back