smoking tenderloin

U

ulikadawgs

how long (minutes per pound)should I smoke a beef tenderloin and at what temp?

I'm gonna switch around your answer from time, to temp.

Someone will correct me, since I dont do alot of beef tenderloin (I do pork) but I would start with a probe in there from the beginning, smoke at 210 to 230 (no higher) until around 155 internal (probably 2 hours or less) and then wrap in foil and in the cooler (if you want "well" since it will rise nearly 10 degrees)

If you want medium, dont foil, let rest for 15minutes and slice

Again, others will know my, and welcome Mr. Dawg

Tenderloin!! Thats a filet mignon...... Cook it no higher than 140.!! Hope it aint to late. Its not a low and slow cut of meat. you want to cook that quicker than we normally do. Cook it upwards towards 300 degrees in the chamber.

Cook at 275-300 until internal temps are 130. Cook it in your hot spot. When it reachs 130, remove and grill it close over hot coals for aminute or 2 to sear the outside. Keep the thermometer in while its grilling and dont let temps climb over 140 or its wrecked. This produces med-rare to medium inside. If you want it on the rare side, pull it at 125 and roll it on the coals till internal is between 130-135. When it reachs temp, Lay a piece of foil on top and let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing. If ya want it med or med-well...., just wrap it a little tighter with foil and let it rest longer.. about 20 minutes ..... it will cook more with its own heat load.

See, I knew there would be other opins, but I will always differ with Phil on this.

Beef tenderloin, and pork tenderloin, is indeed smokable. It will soak up a good amount of smoke, so use a light flavor wood (apple, cherry, etc)

I then slice ate 145 and add to beans or chili

As Phil says a higher temp cook, tenderloin beef or pork doesn't have the connective tissue so long and slow cooks are not callled for.

jminion said:
As Phil says a higher temp cook, tenderloin beef or pork doesn't have the connective tissue so long and slow cooks are not callled for.

Okay, I am wrong, to a point.

After I posted this, I realized I was always smoking the loins, then adding them to something (stew, beans, chili, pot roasts, etc)

So if you are doing loins, follow Phil and Jim Minions advice.

But if your smoking a pork or beef loin to add to something, give my hints a try.

PS, I thinks smoked pork tenderloin is good, but it is second to my favorite use of pork tenderloin. cut a 1" slice of pork tenderloin. place between 2 slices wax paper. Take 1 Caphalon 12" frying pan, and whack that farker once. Will now be around 1/8" thick.

Dip in egg wash, then in bread crumbs. add to slight amount of evoo in said Caphalon pan. Kick ass breaded pork tenderloin

Bill
You can smoke for a short time and then raise the heat, I always have some wood for flavor in the cooker. Need the higher heat for the caramelization which I believe is needed as part of the flavor print.

For filet mignons I use hickory or oak. The do soak up a good amount of smoke so mesquite or a heavy wood kills them. A high temp hickory fire is great for it. The technique I posted is for slicing and serving med-rare.

(mesquite is good for large prime rib roasts)

Like Phil and Jim said; Grill beef tenderloin, it's not a low and slow cut. Do a beef tenderloin like Phil does his prime rib. Turns out and tastes great.

just to be clear.. I only grill the last minute or 2 to seer it. Most of the cooking is high BBQ, more like roasting over wood.

beef tenderloin

thanks for the tips! I'll be cooking the meat for about 20 people on Saturday and I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Go to the recipe section and get my prime rib recipe. Use it on filet mignon.. comes out great.

"Cook at 275-300 until internal temps are 130"

how long will this take?

EEEk....

willkat98 said:

Someone will correct me, since I dont do alot of beef tenderloin (I do pork) but I would start with a probe in there from the beginning, smoke at 210 to 230 (no higher) until around 155 internal (probably 2 hours or less) and then wrap in foil and in the cooler (if you want "well" since it will rise nearly 10 degrees)

EEEEKKkkkkk....
Taking a beef tenderloin to 'well' done?? Oh man...that is just a waste of good (and usually expensive) meat. Medium is the highest you should ever eat beef tenderloin...otherwise, it will be dry and in the tennis shoe category for texture.

I prefer my steaks med-rare.....but, med. is ok....just don't cook above that...

:)

cayenne

I prefer my filet mignon done FREE at DelFrisco's as in paid for by a vendor! :D

But this has not occured in over 3 years now! :cry:

ulikadawgs said:
"Cook at 275-300 until internal temps are 130"

how long will this take?

obviously that depends on weight and starting temp of the roast, but if i remember correct, a whole filet takes about an hour and a half. They cook quick, and i like to rub it down and leave it out of the fridge for couple hours before it goes into the smoke.

Remember, your not lookin to break down any conmnective tissue with a filet mignon. You are just trying to heat it to a safe eating temp. So the 3 days a brisket stays stuck at 163.5 doesnt apply here. I would plan for about 2 hours at the most. Most likly less.

Re: EEEk....

cayenne said:
willkat98 said:

EEEEKKkkkkk....
Taking a beef tenderloin to 'well' done?? Oh man...that is just a waste of good (and usually expensive) meat. Medium is the highest you should ever eat beef tenderloin...otherwise, it will be dry and in the tennis shoe category for texture.

I prefer my steaks med-rare.....but, med. is ok....just don't cook above that...

:)

cayenne

I'm more of a med-well guy.

Use to tell them to "burn it" so I'm expanding horizons

Now I like Phils prime rib, but I can't take it that red, and throw it on the grill for a few minutes.

And I get all my meat for free, so I don't mind experimenting.

ok last question:
most everything I've read says to do a marinade an hour or two before I cook. Is there a reason I shouldn't do a 24 hour marinade?

Not that I can think of but I haven't done that much beef tenerloin! I'm sure you'll get an answer coming from vast experience soon.

Cattle Call, stop in and tell us a bit about yourself and then pull up a chair. Good to have you here!

Back