Rub on Hi Temp Chicken

bdodd444

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a question about applying a rub with a high brown sugar content to my chicken prior to cooking it fairly hot and fast. I have recently changed the way I cook, to a 20 minute butter bath and then 15-20 minutes on the grill at temps from 375-400. Can I still apply my rub prior to cooking? I am a little concerned about the sugar in the rub burning. Would it be ok under the skin, on the skin or both? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Pretty sure its gonna burn. But go ahead and try it out at Chambersburg just to be sure :p

you could try substituting turbinado/sugar in the raw for the brown. It doesn't seem to burn the way regular white or brown sugar do, at least not as quickly. Higher burn temp.

Pretty sure its gonna burn. But go ahead and try it out at Chambersburg just to be sure :p

Thanks Dan. Funny you replied-you're the one that got me paranoid about it, so I didn't use any in Mt Airy ergo 17th place Chicken:doh:. I am hoping to get this resolved before Chambersburg! Either way, we'll see you up there.

direct heat or indirect? direct it will burn indirect I dont think so. Butter bath will wash most away.

I say you try it before you get to a contest and find out firsthand. :thumb:

Nate

Thanks for of the responses. I am going monkey around, incorporating everyones suggestions. We'll see what happens this weekend. Thanks again.

Back