View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
To me it depends on whether I'm doing slow & low or hot & fast... if slow, I trim more off leaving about 1/8th to 1/4". I don't like trimming away smokey fat, but I don't want to give the judges a big fat layer on the bottom either, so I leave just enought to "protect" the meat and still let it render away during the cook.
If hot & fast, I'll leave a bit more since it will usually render and I feel that I need more protection from the heat.

I have also started partially separating the flat & point before cooking, that way when I foil and separate the 2, I know exactly where to cut and they almost peel apart... so much easier! Plus you can trim some of that fat out and toss some rub in between.

With all that said, that is for cooking on the UDS and fat down. YMMV

Relax and try not to over think it!
I like the idea of partially separating the flat/point before. makes sense. I hear the judges are really looking for more of a beefy flavor and less of a saucy sweet for brisket. just loaded up on some Pecan, Cherry, and hickory. Pecan wood is damn near impossible to find in PA.

also, knucklhed, I just read your bit on crispy chicken, great thread and that baconaise idea, not too shabby. hopefully we'll run into each other and get to sample some baconaise shooters along with some Macallan 16 yr.