craigslist find - s&w pellet smoker

I'd say yes if you want a pellet pooper. I think they are made by Traeger.

ok folks, i figured i should update this thread. upon arriving at the sellers house, i asked that the smoker be fired up so that i could see if all the fans and motors were working properly, and from what i could tell they were. the hopper was full of pellets; i didn't think to ask at the time where they came from, but their uniformity appears to be similar to traeger pellets. i've since removed them and am storing them.

the s&w .38 special was covered in duct tape glue and packaging tape as a result of being moved around the state of new york several times. over the course of 2-3 hours i used some goo-gone and a plastic scraper and was able to get all of it off. there were a couple scratches, a ding mark on the hopper, and some very light rusting in places, but otherwise it was in good condition. there is one section below the drain where the powder coat has flaked off, but i will likely paint it with some ultra-high heat rustoleum.

there was no grease catch, nor heat diffuser. i picked up a galvanized bucket at tractor supply for $4, and am temporarily using a cast-iron griddle as a diffuser. otherwise it fired up nicely using the heating pellets, and sits at around 225 on "smoke" setting (it has the old 3-switch controller, perhaps someone can chime in and tell me the advantages of the LV-180 controller?)

shined up and just fired with pecan pellets:
img20100720160322medium.jpg

test cook with 2 turkey getaway sticks and a boob (sprinkled with magic fairy dust):
IMG_20100720_194801%20%28Medium%29.jpg

IMG_20100720_195639%20%28Medium%29.jpg

not bad for $150...
:laugh:

Awesome deal!! Digital controller is the way to go. Many different temp settings available. Also the smoke setting on the 3 switch can vary greatly from winter to summer. Having a digital set at 225 will keep it there regardless of outside temp. Will just use more pellets in the winter.

SCORE!!! I've got a 075 with the digital controler. When I put it on the "smoke" setting my temps stay down around 140* to 190*, then I'll kick it up to 225* or wherever I want to cook at after a couple of hours. You're gonna fall in love with this cooker! By the way, get yourself one of those el cheap-o welding blankets from Harbor Freight for the winter time.

Last edited:
traeger noob now needs help

By the way, get yourself one of those el cheap-o welding blankets from Harbor Freight for the winter time.

i've been thinking about that! like a snuggie for the lil' tex!

i picked up 3 bags of traeger pellets from a local dealer; pecan, mesquite, and grapevine. someone on here had mentioned somewhere that they were all alder with some flavor oils added - does anybody know if that's true?

also i noticed that the lid leaks smoke and drips onto the base. is there a certain type of gasket that i could use to avoid the leaks?

Super deal! You may find you cook on it more than you thought. I stay away from heating pellets and use food grade, but that's just my choice. Get your hands on some 100% hickory pellets and you'll really be cookin'. The digital control just offers a greater range of control over your temps and cooks.

Traeger does use Adler as their base wood, but what they use to call them hickory, maple, etc. I'm not sure. I have also heard that they flavor their pellets with wood oils and not actual wood, but as with so many pellets if the base wood is 70-80% adler or oak, the little bit of other wood won't make much difference.

Good resources are found on Pelletheads.com re: info on pellets and grills. Traeger has it's own area and they have excellent resources regarding the digital controllers, "P" settings, etc.

Back