Just trying to get the process down then
Use charcoal

I smoked for 3 hours

How deep a ring do they look for in comps
and how much smoke flavor

I was thinking of switching woods (apple)and only
smoke for 1 hour

anY help would be great

Since a smoke ring can be chemically induced, KCBS judging is not supposed to take smoke rings into consideration. Meat can taste smoky without a smoke ring and meat with a smoke ring might not taste smoky.

You need to adjust the time and type of wood you smoke with to get the taste that you think the judges will like.

Your ribs

Woodfolks,
You might want to switch the hickory out to a oak, cherry, pear, or pecan. You also can combine them. I like to remove the bark of the woods and you might want to soak the wood also so not to get that harsh smoke that's giving off...

Good luck and if you need people to review the ribs just send me a sample... I'm always up for some ribs... You might want to ditch the "gasser" and git yourself a wood/charcoal burner...:p

For KCBS contests keep the smoke flavor on the mild side. You still want smoke but you don't want anyone thing to be too noticeable that it is considered overpowering.

Make sure you are running a clean fire so you are getting sweet blue smoke and not dirty, grey/white smoke.

and you might want to soak the wood also so not to get that harsh smoke that's giving off...

Don't know what form of wood you are using, but conventional wisdom is not to soak wood chunks, but some people do soak wood chips.

soaking wood chunks doesnt seem to do alot, soak a chunk for a couple of hours and the do a cross cut, i think you will see that not too much moisture gets in..jmho!

Soaking Chunks

Yes, most do soak chips and soaking chunks does not take on a lot water but what is taken in does help in the preventing the igniting of the chunk... Hickory is nice for beef...:blabla:

Careful with the Apple wood. In our first comp of the year in2009 we forgot wood chunks and borrowed from another camp, all they had spare were Apple chunks. We did poorly enough to get a judges card back on our ribs. One judge marked us down for too much of an "applely" taste in our ribs.

BY them time we put our ribs on there is no smoke at all, just a very seasoned cooker with a nice clean charcoal burn. I wouldn't say that our ribs set the world on fire, but they def keep us in the game.

I used Hickory and a propane smoker.
Ill use my Weber or UDS on the next round
Just trying to get the process down then
Use charcoal

If you've not done a comp, I highly recommend you practice just like you will in the comp, including the specific smoker. You need to get your tastes and timing down and you can't do that one your propane that you can't compete with.

The usual recommendation is to set up in your driveway, do it just like a comp and if you have to run in the house for something, put that down on a list.

Also practice the contest turn-ins and boxes. waiting for the comp to do that won't be much fun.

Back