BBQ Brethren "Chinese New Year" Throwdown!

My entry into this TD consists of char siu (Chinese BBQ pork) and wok stir fried baby bok choy and snow peas. It came out delicious! Full cook thread can be found here.

Here's a summarized version with a few of the pics:

Marinaded pork butt smoked over cherry & peach wood:
IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

Baby Bok Choy & Snow Peas 'wokked' in the Egg:
IMG_7102.jpg

Plated (TD Entry):
IMG_7132.jpg

I'm a little early but "Gung Hay Fat Choy" (Happy New Year)!

Chinese 5 spice Smoke Salmon Sushi & Shrimp Stir Fry
Well I got up and smoked a nice salmon on the BGE and made some sushi rolls with a chili sauce. The Sushi had the smoked Salmon, cucumbers, avocado, alfalfa sprouts, cilantro, and cream cheese in them. Then I made some Shrimp and Pork stir fry with rice noodles, bean sprouts, onion and peppers. We also had some pork stuffed pot stickers.
We should be ready for the Kentucky Georgia game know…..

Smoked Salmon
IMG_6364.jpg

The Sushi
IMG_7335.jpg

Enter This Pic Please
IMG_7338.jpg

Stir Fry
IMG_7355.jpg

Pot Stickers
IMG_7354.jpg

Plated
IMG_7350.jpg

The Chinese stole it from the Japanese, but, who cares, that is an excellent looking plate.

Well, every year we do something for Chinese New Year, so this works out well. Usually, it involves Peking duck, but this year we made it a bit simpler. First off, I prepared some spare ribs. I marinaded these in hoisin sauce, plum sauce, oyster sauce, wine vinegar, honey, soy sauce, dry sherry, sesame oil, sriracha, five-spice powder, garlic, and ground ginger. I trimmed them and placed them in a very nice zip-lock bag (courtesy of Phubar).

IMG_1106.jpg

While these were being prepped, I cooked up some pork char siu. I like to use tenderloins for this as it is less troublesome for my girls. I marinaded the loins for a day and grilled these for about 20 minutes.

IMG_1107.jpg

I dice up the pork char siu, added some green onions, oyster sauce, honey, and corn starch to thicken

IMG_1108-1.jpg

While I cooked the ribs, I prepped the dough for char siu bao. In the past I've made steamed baozi, but the baked bao go really well in the girls' lunches, so lately I've been doing that.

IMG_1115.jpg

This dough is flattened

IMG_1118.jpg

and filled with the pork

IMG_1119.jpg

placed on a pan

IMG_1117.jpg

and baked in my Oval after the ribs came off

IMG_1152.jpg

We then had a nice little New Year's feast

IMG_1184-1.jpg

and welcomed the New Year:

Photo-0004.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Oh I am so jealous, that bao is what I had hoped for when the MOINK Dim Sum Disaster occurred. I'd hit that in a heartbeat! :thumb:

Master wanted to do something special for New Year's. We grilled some prawns

IMG_1198.jpg

and some shrimp for the girls

IMG_1197.jpg

Since New Year's celebrations only occur a few times a year :roll:, we also picked up a filet. I always wanted to do one as a roast. This was a whole filet, so it was necessary to trim it. I did leave the muscles attached though to give it a special shape. I cooked it at 275* with a chunk of cherry, pulled it at 120* and did a reverse sear:

IMG_1199.jpg

I also grilled a number of vegetables, like asparagus,

IMG_1238.jpg

eggplant,

IMG_1233.jpg

and some red peppers,

IMG_1231.jpg

I know it's the Year of the Rabbit, but no Chinese New Year celebration is complete without a dragon (use this pic):

IMG_1200.jpg

For those curious about how the meat was cooked, you can look into the dragon's mouth:

IMG_1218.jpg

Thanks e, for the suggestion and all the help.

Back