need buckboard bacon advice

jestridge

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I know they posted somewhere but have a 8 lb bone in butt going to try bucketboard bacon first time with tender quick. Need some or plenty advice

make sure you soak it overnight before you cook it and change the water

I've never done it with Tenderquick...

Once you've cured it for the required amount of time, I would rinse/soak/repeat once every hour for at least 3 hours... I then put it on a rack an stash it in the fridge overnight uncovered...

The BBB cure that I use (Hi Mountain) recommends starting at 150* grate temp for the first hour and then up to 225* grate to a minimum of 140* internal... I take mine to 165* internal so that it is cooked through and I can put a slice on a sammie without having to fry it....

Get the bone out. Then mix the TQ 50%/50% with brown sugar. Rub all over the butt at the rate recommended on the Tender Quick package. Wrap in a few layers of plastic wrap then place into a plastic zip lock bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible. Put into the fridge at about 38 or 40 degrees for about 10 days. Rinse and soak as others have mentioned. Before smoking I inject mine with a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and maple syrup. Smoke with a light wood like apple and enjoy. NUTZ

I foodsaver it for the cure
So do I, but I don't suck all of the air out, just most of it....

Get the bone out. Then mix the TQ 50%/50% with brown sugar. Rub all over the butt at the rate recommended on the Tender Quick package. Wrap in a few layers of plastic wrap then place into a plastic zip lock bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible. Put into the fridge at about 38 or 40 degrees for about 10 days. Rinse and soak as others have mentioned. Before smoking I inject mine with a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and maple syrup. Smoke with a light wood like apple and enjoy. NUTZ

Last time I slathered it with maple syrup and cracked peppercorns... BIG HIT!!!

I assume from the thread that this is making something resembling bacon from a pork butt but other than that I don't know much.

I assume from the thread that this is making something resembling bacon from a pork butt but other than that I don't know much.
OK, BBB (Buck Board Bacon) has a taste of bacon but has the texture of Canadian Bacon…

It is made by curing a boneless pork butt (you can also do Canadian Bacon with a Pork Loin) using either TenderQuick or some other cure (I use the Hi Mountain’s product) and then smoking it.

The cure runs for 10 to 14 days in a 35-40* fridge turning it every couple of days…. You then rinse/soak/repeat (I repeat it once an hour for 3 hours) and then smoke it to 140* (I smoke mine to 165* internal so I can just put a slice on a Sammie)…

There are a ton of options for coating prior to smoking… I’ve found a slather of maple syrup and cracked peppercorns are very popular with my family & friends…

Any other questions???

You got it:wink:

.....and they just gave you the procedure. Made my first one last week with the Hi Mountain cure, delish.

Cool. Thanks. I am going to have to try this.

It sounds a bit like English style bacon. I assume you smoke whole and slice when you are ready to fry it up.

Last edited:
Cool. Thanks. I am going to have to try this.

It sounds a bit like English style bacon. I assume you smoke whole and slice when you are ready to fry it up.
After smoking it, I let it cool for about an hour on the countertop, then in the frig overnight. That firms it up and settles the taste evenly. The next day it will slice very well. I suc-o-vac and freeze. Good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back