Frying Turykey -Brine or don't brine

Keller Steeler

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been frying turkeys for years and have always injected. Was wondering about brining and frying. Any downside or potential problems with the sugar? Any advice would be appreciated.

Morning Brian,

I wouldn't bother brining a turkey. We cooked a couple this past weekend and one came out perfect the other was a little dry. We did inject both of them. I would recommend staying away from the 4 minute per pound mark.

The idea behind brining is to prevent the bird from drying out, it will also add flavor. Since we injected the flavor was there for us. The second of the two turkeys we fried was very moist and tender, we cooked it for just under 3-1/2 minutes per pound. Another thing I have learned is that you need to stay with a smaller turkey if you want it to be well cooked throughout without drying. I have heard that anything beyond 15 pounds is too big. I am sure there are folks who might disagree, but I will stick to that rule. At work we had our annual turkey day last thursday and they had two twenty pounders and they didn't cook so completely. I am not a big turkey fan so I did not eat them anyway. The turduckin was good though.

As to brining, these birds are already juiced, so I would skip it.

inject, don't brine. I use a mixture of williams creole butter injection mix with a bottle of Evangeline or Louisiana hot sauce mixed in with a bottle each of McCormick liquid onion and liquid garlic. Good stuff.

Tony is right. 3-1/2 minutes per pound is a good way to go, and it is very important to fry smaller turkeys only. They turn out much better. I like to keep mine around the 10lb and under mark.

Thanks guys. Tony, I always try to keep mine 12 lbs or under and try to get "natural" ones that have not been pre-juiced.

Have a good turkey day.

I didn't beat the bushes, but I didn't run across a bird that wasn't already pumped with saline. I'd just go with an injection, unless you are determined to brine and can find a bird that doesn't already have some salt added.

Back