Picked up a neglected Akorn, FOR FREE!!! (Pr0n!)

FIREPIT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted to share with you how I got a little lucky over the weekend! A buddy of mine told me his brother was selling his camp house on the lake and wanted to know if I wanted the grill that was on the back porch. He told me it was a black egg type grill. He said his brother didn't like it, burned everything he attempted to cook on it, so its going with the camp. I jumped at the chance and man this grill has been sitting up for awhile. It's nasty as hell and the front caster has a flat spot on it from sitting in one spot for so long. After tightening all the screws and giving it a decent cleaning, I'm ready to start Q'ing on this thing! I debated whether or not to clean the inside but it was just too nasty. I need to grease the grate but all in all, it turned out nice, especially for being free!!!!

Before/After:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 522
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 514
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 516
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 517
Sweet score! Looks like you were able to clean it up real nice. I'm getting me one real soon.

nice score for sure. but isn't it put together wrong ? the legs don't look right.

Yes, if you switch the front left leg with the back leg, it will be much easier to move it around. Great score, there were a lot of us that were thrilled with the amazon price last week, and you got 100% off of that.

Actually on a second look, you need to rotate all of the legs clockwise one spot.

Yes, if you switch the front left leg with the back leg, it will be much easier to move it around. Great score, there were a lot of us that were thrilled with the amazon price last week, and you got 100% off of that.

Actually on a second look, you need to rotate all of the legs clockwise one spot.

Thanks for the info! I've never owned one before but something seemed funky. I'm on it and thanks again!

Curious how you made the exterior "show room shiny". Thanks

The previous posters are all wrong concerning the legs.

The 2 large wheels face the front of the cooker, under the latch and handle.

The small caster is in back, under the hinge,

The legs are labeled right and left.

Your friends brother is :doh:

Hello all,

I just wanted to share with you how I got a little lucky over the weekend! A buddy of mine told me his brother was selling his camp house on the lake and wanted to know if I wanted the grill that was on the back porch. He told me it was a black egg type grill. He said his brother didn't like it, burned everything he attempted to cook on it, so its going with the camp. I jumped at the chance and man this grill has been sitting up for awhile. It's nasty as hell and the front caster has a flat spot on it from sitting in one spot for so long. After tightening all the screws and giving it a decent cleaning, I'm ready to start Q'ing on this thing! I debated whether or not to clean the inside but it was just too nasty. I need to grease the grate but all in all, it turned out nice, especially for being free!!!!

Before/After:
The Akorn is not put together correctly. The handle that opens the top needs to be positioned over the two wheels. This will allow you to tip and balance the grill while holding the handle. Just remember to latch the top before it is moved.
Good luck,

+1 on what Motley Q said re: legs

easiest charcoal grill to control tempson. what a loss for him. Burned everything he cooked? I am not a manual kind of guy but the manual explains how to light the coals and control temps very well .

Awesome find. that grill hasn't even been on the market long enough to be "neglected".

I'd take the 10 minutes and turn the body so the handle is in between the two big wheels though.

Enjoy the new piece

Back