• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smokin' for someone with a Nut Allergy

wmrrock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Here is a strange question: My friends kid has a SEVERE nut allergy, which includes Pecans. Does anyone know for sure if smoking with Pecan wood, would or could cause this child to go into anaphylactic shock? My guess, and I am no doctor, is that since the wood is not the fruit (nut) of the tree, it should be okay to smoke with Pecan. I am however going to err on the side of caution and not use it for this particular smoke. It is an interesting question and I would like to get a definitive answer. Thanks!

I think you are doing the right thing to completely avoid it.

"SEVERE" is all I needed to hear.

Probably best to avoid, if you're unsure. My daughters have a nut allergies. I've used pecan numerous times and they have had fries from 5 guys burgers which is fried in peanut oil--no issues. Peanut butter, candy with nuts or nuts in general and they will have a really bad reaction.

There was a kid at my son's school who had a peanut allergy, and couldn't even sit at a table where someone had eaten a PB&J in the previous lunch period. If you've used pecan in the smoker with previous cooks, I'd ask the kid's parents and doctor before I let the kid partake of anything that comes off your smoker. Just bein' careful. :shock:

One of my daughters has a tree nut allergy (pecans, walnuts, pistachios, etc.) not peanuts. I was going to use pecan and then decided not to without checking into it. My wife read on two allergy sites that smoking extracts the oil from the would but that the allergy is to the actual fruit and not the oil. It is the same reason people with peanut allergies can eat food cooked in peanut oil.

Having said that I still decided to skip the pecan.

Back