BBQ Brethren "Pick the 4th Ingredient" Throwdown!

Is this where I am supposed to apologize because I want to win? Just checking.....

I would also like to apologize because I don't like cats.

This is a Throwdown thread, no apologies necessary. The ultimate reward is to win. Or get a legitimate Zero. Neither of which I have been able to acheive. :tsk:

Oh, and you aren't alone in your dislike for cats. :heh:

I hate it when you change the rules in the middle. I would have used dough in a box instead of a can. But my entry is cooking right now. Can't wait to see Sharon's reaction when she gets home.

Bill good luck with the fishin.:becky:

I made that change for people that cannot get 'dough in a tube', which apparently is limited to people who live in Canada. 'Dough in a tube' is the point of the challenge.

I really enjoy these. I've entered not expecting to win. But man, loosing sucks!

Pie in a Pot

For me this was a hard one. I don't get along with dough very well. In fact the very first success I had was with Ecode's buns.

I got a cast iron pot for XMAS and after seasoning it, I have been itching to use it. For me, this is a first time ever for this kind of meal. :becky:

Here is a pic of most of the ingredients cause I always wing it with something new.

Ingredients.jpg

Chicken, dough in a can, limes, peanuts, mushrooms, and andouille sausage. I thought that would be good to start with.

The day before, I smoked two chickens. Here they are, prepped and cooked.

Birds-On.jpg

Bird-Done.jpg

About three hours on the WSM, rubbed with yardbird, and Mesquite for flavor.

Someday I am going to enter a comp and use sliced breast, cause this bird was tender and juicy.

OK back to the Pie. I am not allowed to eat nuts, so I ground them up as fine as I could with the mortor & pestal. I think that is better than using a machine because it keeps the oil in the mix.

Nuts.jpg

I put one can of dough in the bottom of the pot. Need to figure a better way to do that.

dough.jpg

Then I sliced the andouille and covered the dough. Then a nice thick layer of smoked chicken, mushrooms, and the ground peanuts. Then squeezed the juice of one lime over that.

Hmmmm? need to do something here or I'm in trouble. :crazy: EGGS!! That will hold it together. I used six eggs with some milk and just dumped it in. That should work.

stuff.jpg

Now to cover it. I took the second can of dough and this time I put it in a ball and tried to roll it out with a pin. That was not perfect, but at least it seemed to be the same thickness all over. Here it is. :clap2::clap2:

covered.jpg

I had some coals ready on the Performer, so I move them out to the outer edges and put the CI pot in the center and closed the lid. Fast forward 45 minutes.

cooked.jpg

Golden brown. :clap2::clap2:

About this time Sharon walked in the door and wanted to know what I was cooking. I told her it was a throwdown dinner. To my surprise, she thought it was kind of different. It seems she likes it when I surprise her with a new dish. Are you ready for this?

Chris, please use this pic.

Plated.jpg

The pie came right out of the new pot, no sticking! :thumb:

I could have taken it off the fire just a little sooner, but this was delish. The nuts gave it just a little crunch and there was just a hint of the lime. Of course the andouille and smoked chicken blended perfectly.

I had fun, learned something, and we had a great dinner too.

Hope I win! :becky:

Is anyone going to step up to the Tofu or Eggplant challenge? Or is everyone going to wuss out and use peanuts? :razz:

Is anyone going to step up to the Tofu or Eggplant challenge? Or is everyone going to wuss out and use peanuts? :razz:

I have insider information that leads me to believe there will be eggplant. Stay tuned... :pray:

I'll go back and look again because I must have missed your entry...

In my opinion...neither of those are a good match to the other ingredients. The tofu is the most easily accessible, but since you also must use chicken, they the fark would anyone add tofu? It just screams, "I added tofu because I had to". Again, my opinion, which means little.:becky: As for Eggplant...chicken, tube dough, lime and eggplant has possibilities, and I had a dish planned out that could use these involving baba ghanouj, but it's a stretch because lemon would be the more natural complement, and using lime just screams, "I used lime because I had to", sort of like the tofu above. Again, my opinion only.

Honestly, the entries so far are pretty much as I originally expected. Of Thai or other Asian influence mostly, using peanut. The flavors naturally work together that way. Again, my opinion only, which is only worth what others perceive it to be.

I ain't no wuss! I am using eggplant and dough in a tube (not a box). I'm working on the dough in a tube as we speak and hoping no one else will do what I'm going to do. I don't think I can complete it until tomorrow though but I do know without a doubt that this dish will be sure to please! I'm going "from scratch" all the way...except for the tube dough.:becky: Oh, and it's not Thai or Asian.

Redhot aims to please, somehow, I don't think that is a secret. Whereas, Guerry is just trying no to miss too bad :becky:

Oh, I am using tofu and maybe peanuts.

I used eggplant, but I don't even know what tofu is. Is that something Taco Bell uses in their "beef"?:confused:

Great entry Jim. I didn't think of a pie. Looks like you made good use of your iron.

Last edited:
Back