View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #63
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
At the risk of taking quite a bit of heat for this, I'll write it none the less:

Nordy, respectfully, I'd like to disagree with you on the point where you said "any BBQ show should benefit BBQ". Mind you, I think BBQ getting air time can be a good thing. I think certain bbq-brethren getting their 15 minutes of fame is great (if they wish to get it this way). Guys like Big Mista and others it helps promote their name and resulting in more business for them (I hope). However, I think certain aspects of season 2 were insulting; insulting to cooks, insulting to competition BBQ, just plain insulting in general. It sounded to me like they were ready to have a seed and/or tobacco spittin' contest any minute, right before having to cook road-kill-surprise. To me, very little of what they were cooking had anything to do with something resembling BBQ at all. It made, IMHO, a mockery of the whole darned thing. While it may have brought on additional membership here, and I guess that's a good thing, I dont think it helped barbecue very much.

I think season 1 DID help competition barbecue, but not season 2.

Mind you, if you want to watch this, I think go for it. I love that some guys got well deserved notoriety. I hope it's helped them. For the others that go forward, I wish them well. But I dont think season 2 helped BBQ.
I understand your points, and agree with some of them on a personal level. I'd love to see the season 1 format return. It was familiar and enjoyable personally.

That being said, I think we would all be better off viewing this as a part of a process. The fact that the show is returning is HUGE. Many people seem to want a homerun. I don't believe that's fair. Competition BBQ is relatively new to television, and has had a relatively small exposure to the general population as well.

John Markus, and some others have done a lot to increase the exposure of something we enjoy and care about. What we've seen in previous years, and in coming years may not be what some would prefer, but it's a step in the right direction and an opportunity to expand the exposure we currently have.

Until I'm given a reason to not support those that are making the effort to expand something we collectively care about, I'll try to be fair in my criticism and judge each product based on merit and not speculation. Nobody stands to benefit if there is nothing in production. If you don't like the Koolaid, don't take a sip.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->