Central Kansas 1 & 2 Labor Day Weekend - Great Bend

crd26a

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We've been trying to find some information for the dual contest, but nothing up on the website. Does anyone know what's going on?

I've sent Kent a couple of e-mails trying to get info as well and haven't received anything. I talked to Kelly from Four Legs Up this past weekend and he said that Kent was going to update the web site this week, but nothing yet.

We'll be there. Call Kent. He is very slow to respond to email but will pick up the phone or return your call very quickly.

Kent is a busy farmer and understandibly, he's slow to reply but man, sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get a reply on anything, phone OR email. And I'm still waiting on five ribbons from last July's contest. A lot of that is on the Fair Board as a whole and not fully Kent's responsibility.

What "little" I know

Friday evening Sept 3 will be the Chest to Chest turn ins, probably starting around 6pm.

Saturday Sept 4 will have a full KCBS contest with I think 2 ancillary turn-ins (anything beef, and dessert).

Sunday Sept 5 will be a full KCBS contest (4 meats).

Kent hasn't had time to get together with those of us on the BBQ committee, so I am a little in the dark about all the details. He assured me a few weeks ago that all the ribbons have finally been ordered, last years BBQ contest, this years 4-H fair ribbons, and the Labor Day contest ribbons. The ribbons should be in no later than this week as the County fair starts Wednesday.

David Keyse
Great Bend, KS

Just talked to Kent

Ok, a little more info about the Labor Day weekend contest.

Thursday evening, Sept 2, the Chest to Chest cooks meeting will be held at 4 Legs Up BBQ Restaurant, with Kelly & Roni Wertz sponsoring a Prime Rib dinner for the Chest to Chest contestants. Friday Sept. 3 will have the Chest to Chest judging that early evening, 6 to 7 pm, with the Chest to Chest awards afterwards. Prize money is $3,000.00 winner take all, and of course the much desired trophy, the Bull Peni$ Walking Stick.

Saturday Sept. 4 will be the KCBS 4 meats contest, including ancillaries Anything Beef and Dessert.

Sunday Sept. 4 will be another KCBS contest with the standard 4 meat categories.

Entry fee will be as follows:
Both Saturday and Sunday contests entry is $375, this is for all categories including ancillary. This is for a 20 x 40 space, including electric, and tickets for 4 free bags of ice. Please note the 20 x 40 space is paved frontage, there is more room behind the paved area that is grass for most of the spaces. If you only want to cook for one day of the contest the entry fee will be $275 plus 2 free bags of ice.

Prize Money:
$2000 for Grand Champion
$1000 for Reserve Champion
$200 for 1st place each category (including ancillary)
$150 for 2nd place
$100 for 3rd and 4th place
$50 for 5th thru 10th place

Ribbons for 1st thru 5th places (if they got ordered, lol)

The awards are for each contest so if you are Grand Champion both days you get $4000.

The Fair Board is planning on having a hamburger feed for all the teams Saturday evening, with the cooks potlucking a salad, vegetable, or dessert. Plus if we can get a sponsor, free beer.

Those with RV's can come early and stay late with no extra charge, we do ask that you let us know what type (how big) an RV so we can park you for the best fit.

Kent is going to "try" to get the website updated this weekend, and will let me know when it is done and I will update here to let everyone know. He receives so much e-mail on his personal address that it sometimes gets overwhelming so we have set up a new address just for contest questions, centralkansasbbq@gmail.com . You can also call Kent at 620 793-2985. He may be on the tractor or moving irrigation pipe so he will try to return any calls when he can. The website is www.chesttochest.com .

David Keyse
Great Bend, KS

Last edited:
David, we are not going to be able to make it to Great Bend Labor Day weekend due to prior commitments. I'll probably make arrangements for someone who is going to pick up my ribbons from last year from Kent so he won't have to ship them. No sense in that. Thanks for following up!

Jeff,

I wish it would have worked out for you to come back, but I understand other things happening. The roll you are on this year you might have won both contests. I hope to see you again at a contest in the future. Good Luck.

David Keyse
Great Bend, KS

Update

Just wanted to pass on that the website, www.centralkansasbbq.com has been updated, at least the regular contest pages. Chest to Chest is still in process of being updated. If you go to the webpage click on the Somethings Cooking logo and it will take you to a welcome letter with links for the entry form, prize payout list, and info page. Kent is working on getting a site map posted that will show the contest area.

Additionally there are 3 locations that have showers for team use, in the Armory building, Raceway bathroom, and in Expo 3 building.

I am excited about this contest, and hope for a great turnout. See you there!

Back