Cold Smoking Bacon help

Ackman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have made a ton of bacon in the past but have always hot smoked it, I just took about 9 pounds out of the cure and drying it in the fridge now. I am thinking of trying to cold smoke it this time. I have an A-MAZE-N unit but understand that it needs to be run in a heated environment to avoid creosote -- so I am thinking of using my BWS--running a snake like of coals in the fire box and running the A-MAZE-N in the cooking chamber. Any reason that this won't work? Should I have water or sand in the water pan? Any thoughts welcome and Pr0n to follow

Thanks

Ackman!
This is what i do for cold smoking.Just place a briquet on top of the saw dust.
With an outside ambient tem. of 30* to 45* degrees,my smoke chamber never gets above 70*. Your snake idea will more likely will get you well over
150*
I get a 10 to 12 hr. smoke with my contraption.I leave the meat hanging in the smoke box for 24 hrs. and do a second smoke,rest again and smoke again, until i get the color i want. Good luck.

Attachments

• P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 89
Shouldn't the "dams" be solid metal? What keeps the heat from igniting the whole pan?

I'm not entirely sure why the whole lot doesn't just go up, I use one of these things and it's always burned around the maze rather than jumping

IMG_4013.jpg

I have made a ton of bacon in the past but have always hot smoked it, I just took about 9 pounds out of the cure and drying it in the fridge now. I am thinking of trying to cold smoke it this time. I have an A-MAZE-N unit but understand that it needs to be run in a heated environment to avoid creosote -- so I am thinking of using my BWS--running a snake like of coals in the fire box and running the A-MAZE-N in the cooking chamber. Any reason that this won't work? Should I have water or sand in the water pan? Any thoughts welcome and Pr0n to follow

Thanks

Not true about having to run in a heated environment.

I cold smoke my my hams for six hours with the A=Maze-N pellet smoker before adding heat to the smoker to bring to a safe finish temperature. I also cold smoke my bacon for 4 hours before applying heat to bring to a safe finish temperature..

As long as you have airflow the smoke does not condensate into droplets in the smoker.

Back