Restaurant Depot

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK, so I just went last Friday to finally investigate RD in Indy. Pretty much my take on the place is WOW!!!:clap2: They seem like they have a LOT bigger selection of meat cuts than Sam's, even different "grades" of the same cut. They had "USDA Choice" whole packer briskets as well as one that was marked "Premium" I think. They seemed like they had a few cuts that Sam's didn't have. I know that their spice selection was at LEAST twice the size of Sam's. I could've spent hundreds in there on stuff like: Pizze peels, pizza screens & pans, sauce dispensing bottles, cookware, etc.

It sure seems like Sam's is a much bigger store, but RD sure seems like they have a lot more stuff like fresh produce, cheeses, seafood, pork/beef/lamb, etc.

Anyway......my original intent of this thread was to see if any of you have recieved a membership to RD without a legitimate BBQ/Catering business? I asked about membership fees, and they explained to me that membership was free for anyone with a business fed tax ID#. I happen to technically still be the owner of a construction company here, but haven't really used it in years. Do any of you know if they require an actual FOOD business to gain membership?

I suppose I could ask them, but I didn't want to raise a "flag" if not. I could go through the steps to actually create a BBQ business "on paper", since this may be where I end up, but didn't want to go through all of that just to shop at the place for my home BBQ supply.

Anyone??

If you have a tax ID you should be able to get a membership no problem. It doesn't matter what type of business. Also you can get a pass to shop if you are a KCBS member. Yep, the place is pretty cool. :cool:

Yep, I have a buddy that has a tow company and he has a RD membership. Even says the tow company name on the card.

Any buisness with a tax id and you'll have yourself a membership......Once you have it you'll be in there all the time....enjoy!!!

Was told that you need to be in the food business to get a Membership, but they will typically give you a day pass with any business license. Might go check it out this weekend, looks like they have everything.

Join KCBS and RD will either give you a membership or give you day passes whenever you shop.

Was told that you need to be in the food business to get a Membership, but they will typically give you a day pass with any business license. Might go check it out this weekend, looks like they have everything.

Wasn't the case for me. I was able to get a pass using an EIN for a business that has nothing whatsoever to do with food service.

Wasn't the case for me. I was able to get a pass using an EIN for a business that has nothing whatsoever to do with food service.

That is what I said above, you can typically get a day pass with ANY business license. But to get a Membership, you need to be in a "Food" based business.

you could also use your churches tax ID if you have access to that information, such as a trustee would.

I signed up online and then went in with my tax ID. No questions asked, membership cards issued in five minutes. Guess it might depend on your location but the process was easy. BTW my business is not food!

And I do love their selection even if it is 54 miles away.

I went and signed up online. Showed up and they told me I had to be in a Food Business, They did give me a day pass.

I signed up online and then went in with my tax ID. No questions asked, membership cards issued in five minutes. Guess it might depend on your location but the process was easy. BTW my business is not food!

And I do love their selection even if it is 54 miles away.

I was also told that if you do not have a food business, they "may" issue you a Membership. But if you do not shop there often enough (multiple times per week/month), your Membership will be canceled). Seems like a weird way to do things, but whatever works for them I guess.

It seems like it depends on who you talk to there. Some are more lenient with the rules, or, interpret them different. :cool:

Well I'm going to give it a try then. Even a day pass once in a while would be cool. I'll look into KCBS membership too. Thanks all.

I'll try the online route as well. Good idea Chef.:becky:

I used my landscape company info to get a membership. Says 10-E Lawn Care, LLC on the member card and they never even questioned anything just had me fill out their paperwork and that was that. The meat section would be a nice place to be today! 92 out!!!

it's like a big dirty costco! i got my card with a "services" buisness. they said you have to use it at least every thirty days or the revoke the card.

Thanks for the tip Wampus, I also live in Indy and was going to check it out, but I can go the non-profit route, through my daughter's club.

Thanks for the tip Wampus, I also live in Indy and was going to check it out, but I can go the non-profit route, through my daughter's club.

Well I just walked right in on Friday and started looking around. There was no receptionist manning the desk when I walked in. I was only "window shopping" anyway.

If you're in Indy, it's located about 1 block north of I-70 on Keystone. Take a left at the first stoplight and it's back there.

Also, just went to the website and am now registered with my existing business. I just (apparently) have to go in and give them my EIN#. We'll see how it works out.

Funny thing is, I was the inspector for the project when it was being built. Our company was on contract for the infrastructure inspection (streets, storm sewer, sanitary sewer). I got to know the PM for the General Contracting company. I'd never HEARD of RD before and he explained it to me. I SHOULD have hit him up for some kind of "in" with them then.:becky:

Well I just walked right in on Friday and started looking around. There was no receptionist manning the desk when I walked in. I was only "window shopping" anyway.

Did you see anything special that got your attention?

Back