First Brisket plus other firsts

1911Ron

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I finally took the plunge and did my first Brisket, along with several other firsts.
I also tried lump charcoal for the first time, along with working in inclement weather. The brisket probably was not the best cut(don't even remember what it was graded) I injected and rubbed it down the night before.
When i got up it looked like this:
Brisketsky.jpg

So i put up my EZ-Up ( of course it didn't rain, it would of if i hadn't)
Brisketdrum.jpg

After that i lit up the lump:
Brisketlump.jpg

I realized i forgot to get any pictures other than the sliced shot and oh was it good, good snap tender, moist and a good bark:clap:
Brisket01.jpg

Good looking brisket!
If you get any rain, please send some my way. :-D

Fine looking brisket right there! Nice smoke ring!

Have you been bitten by the brisket bug after your first cook? I know I did. I did my first packer on Father's Day 2012. I have been addicted to cooking briskets ever since!

Fine looking brisket right there! Nice smoke ring!

Have you been bitten by the brisket bug after your first cook? I know I did. I did my first packer on Father's Day 2012. I have been addicted to cooking briskets ever since!
Oh i don't know i may do a few more:becky:
My biggest critic (18 year old) said it was good (thru a stuffed mouth):clap:
I found that my drum wants to run about 280 or so with lump or briqs, so i let er ride(tried to run cooler but i chased temps until i figured that out:tsk:)

280 is great temp for brisket cooking IMHO. It sure looks good.

you are hooked now...looks good...I have cooked every grade of brisket and I mean about 15,000 pounds of it and when I want a comp brisket I wet age 6 to 8 weeks...this is the only time I have seen any difference amongst the grades..so try a wet age next..

you are hooked now...looks good...I have cooked every grade of brisket and I mean about 15,000 pounds of it and when I want a comp brisket I wet age 6 to 8 weeks...this is the only time I have seen any difference amongst the grades..so try a wet age next..

Interesting. I have only ever cooked select grade brisket which is all the local Smart & Final carries (at $2.40/lb). I found a couple butchers (that are pretty much side by side) who sell prime grade brisket for $4.45/lb. and $4.99/lb. respectively (they sell flats for $1 more per lb. and sell the points alone for the same price as a packer). I was thinking of buying my first prime brisket to see if there was a difference. The one thing I did notice at the butcher was that the flat seemed more uniformly thicker than what I get at S&F (which tapers rather severely).

EXcuse my Ignorance .......Ft. Mudge , AZ ???? Huh ? Where ? Hauchucha ?
No Buckeye actualy, just trying to be funny, Jeff Cooper used to say "shooting way out past FT Mudge" (Ft mudge is made up place that would be far away ie Buckeye, Jeff was a top notch shooter and teacher of marksmanship also the inventor of the modern pistol style of shooting)

My pit sometimes likes to run at 275-280 and I just let it. Good call.

Briskey looks pretty damn good too. That first one is stressful to say the least. Fortunately it gets easier. :clap:

Back