Mixon Brisket

HogFan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
It was mentioned here that BBQ PitMasters Season 1 & 2 is available on Netflix so I've been checking them out. Watched all of Season 1 and enjoyed it. Watched the first show of Season 2 and thought it was silly. I did watch the final show of season 2 and it was ok.

Anyhow, in one of the shows I watched Myron trimming the fat off a brisket. Best I could tell he removed the entire fat cap. I'm curious if anyone knows why he does this. Is it due to his "hot and fast" style or because he is using a Waguy (sp?) brisket that has plenty of fat without the fat cap or what? One of the other competitors does well in brisket (can't think of his name but I recall he had his trailer and smoker painted in one of the shows) and it appeared he was removing most of the fat as well (possibly the meat was laying fat cap down, not sure). So I'm curious why they (or at least Myron) chose to remove the fat cap.

He was just removing the fat and silver skin from the top. Silver skin is not digestible and the fat prevents the rub from sticking.

Are you saying he was trimming fat on the opposite side of the brisket from the fat cap? Sure looked like the fat cap......but I could be wrong as I have little experience with brisket.

I'm a believer that you remove the entire fat cap, I have better tasting and more tender briskets because of that. There is also a thin membrane that can be removed to maintain a good bark.

If you look closely you'll see he was only trimming the top.

That said, I found his brisket from Smokin' just ok.

HogFan, remove the fat cap off of the point only as this is where your burnt ends will come from. Remove the silverskin and any fat left on the top of the flat.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to watch that episode again and double-check what Myron was doing.

Back