Chalupas...pron heavy!

W

WvSmoke

Going to try my hand at the Fast Food TD. Here we have the Smokey Hill version of the Taco Bell XXL Chalupa (both chicken and beef):

Here we have the simple chalupa ingredients, masa harina and water. I don’t know what the heck Taco Bell uses:
chalupaingredients.jpg

Since I didn’t have a chalupa mold, I had to make one from a freshly retired pizza pan:
chalupamold.jpg

Mix the masa, roll it out and press it to the mold:
moldedchalupa.jpg

Fried the chalupas and drained:
3friedchalupas2.jpg

Mixed up a marinade of fresh pressed garlic, diced jalapenos, cumin, cilantro, white sugar, olive oil and lime juice:
marinade3.jpg

Marinaded the flank steak and chicken (in separate bags of course):
steakmarinade1.jpg

Grilled the chicken first:
chix2.jpg

chix3.jpg

Then the steak. Taking no chances on rare meat this time, I cooked the flank steak to 165°:
steak5.jpg

You can’t really have good chalupas, or any other good Mexican food for that matter, without some fire roasted peppers. Here we have some red and yellow bells and the very popular poblano:
pep6.jpg

pep8.jpg

And after adding a few treats to go with the chalupas, we have:
finished5.jpg

finished6.jpg

finished2.jpg

Happy cooking!

That looks great. Is masa harina and water the only thing in the shell?

That looks great. Is masa harina and water the only thing in the shell?

Yes, just masa harina and water. If you are going to make chalupas you need to make sure the tortilla mix (which is all a chalupa really is) is kept warm and damp. If it dries out it will crack when you try to fold it onto the mold. Also, if you have never used masa harina to make corn tortillas, you should give it a try. You won't be sorry. It just takes some practice. If you don't have a tortilla press (I didn't have time to make one either) you can roll them between two sheets of wax paper. Just make sure to use fresh wax paper between each tortilla. :thumb:

Good lookin' eats right there!

And now I'm hungry again :rolleyes:.

Back