• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

lump vs briquettes in UDS

seriously. I love the science part about cooking. A lot more takes place then put meat on grill, wait three hours, eat. Chemical reactions are always taking place, and knowing how and what will happen can actually change the taste of food. Think of this as bbq molecular gastronomy.

That's fine, as long as you acknowledge that most of the "science" being thrown around here is not quite accurate.

That's fine, as long as you acknowledge that most of the "science" being thrown around here is not quite accurate.

There is science and then there is "Uncle bill said if i roast a pig in a lightning storm and lightning strikes the smoker it will be more moist".

briqettes vs lump

Thanks a ton for the input!It means o lot from bros who've been there ,done that
I've only used k for my bbq'in 'till last night.Bought some lump to try in my UDS for some turkey wings. I use apple wood for smoke.The lump didn't stink when I lit it up ;that's good ,smoked the wings with olive oil and weber chicken rub for 3 1\2 hrs.@ 225.
Like everything I've ever cooked on my UDS ,they were fantastic.
I think I'm sold on the Royal Oak lump.
Thanks for the input, from the Olympic City.

Rockyathabaska
UDS
18" weber
performer
silver b Genesis

Thanks a ton for the input!It means o lot from bros who've been there ,done that
I've only used k for my bbq'in 'till last night.Bought some lump to try in my UDS for some turkey wings. I use apple wood for smoke.The lump didn't stink when I lit it up ;that's good ,smoked the wings with olive oil and weber chicken rub for 3 1\2 hrs.@ 225.
Like everything I've ever cooked on my UDS ,they were fantastic.
I think I'm sold on the Royal Oak lump.
Thanks for the input, from the Olympic City.

Rockyathabaska
UDS
18" weber
performer
silver b Genesis

I agree the lump has a smell similar to stubbs. For whatever reason i prefer stubbs, but i was worried that stubbs was on its way to being discontinued and needing to find a new charcoal. I would probably go with RO more often but i dont like how its sparky and how it flakes similar to paper burning. Normally this wouldnt be an issue but with the stoker now the paper flaky ash gets pushed around the drum and it has the potential to stick to my food.

I've found that when using lump in my uds I gotta keep my temps a bit higher (between 250-275 on my thermo) than with briquettes (225) or it starts to go out.

I've also found that on a LONG cook (more than 12 hours) that with the minion method I've had lump burn down to the bottom and go out on me and leave an unburned ring on the outside of my basket.

I do prefer lump for short cooks. For long cooks I prefer briquettes or a mix of briquettes and lump (saw someone else mention this).

Back