SPECIAL -> BBQ Brethren "Happy Holidays 2012" Throwdown!

Delicious and extra festive looking entry, Gore. I know Santa loved eating the 8# prime rib you set out for him, Holy Smokes! Love the sweet treats, mmmmmm. Thanks for the education with smoking and the fat cap, I like the idea of preserving the bark, too. Since you only had half a bag of lump left and Santa left you that farking squirrel ornament instead of more coal you obviously didn't manage to be a bad enough boy this past week. Keep practising, maybe next year..... Oh, and I can help you with ideas to better your game next year.

Thanks Kathy, I know I can learn a lot from you. I do think you get squirrels when you're extra bad though. :tsk:

(There were three Hos in that post. I thought for sure someone would've pointed out the other one by now). :heh:

^^^Easiest game ever!

idaho_simple.gif

I win :whoo:

Yep, if we ever have a game of "Find the Ho?" I want Paul on my team. :thumb:

Thats why I specified "next to the mushrooms" in my previous post.

^^^Easiest game ever!
I win :whoo:

Your not suggesting, you have your own private

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7t7cGwN7_0"]B-52's Private Idaho - YouTube[/ame]

Santa had a Good Time

First off, Luzziann went to baking. [Santa Llikie]

i6i6u0.jpg

Then she did a Ham and Swiss loaf (Dang I wish the crust TD was this week). :tsk: :

ac6dyf.jpg

ezg7ph.jpg

wlews0.jpg

n2l7c5.jpg

Then Santa has to have some Real Meat:

File photo of an oil less Cajun fried Turkey because it was rainnin Hammerhandles and Pitchforks here while tring to cook this bird :

169g5ev.jpg

Injection time:

rvykv9.jpg

163xnl.jpg

Out of the Big Easy:

htef5d.jpg

The Pup waiting on Santa by the tree!

2dw562r.jpg

28aky2x.jpg

Plated:

o8xf9l.jpg

or5kso.jpg

Thanks for Lookin'

Last edited:
Awefully impressed with Gore and Toast's entries so far.

We had a big day on Xmas day. I took a lot of pics. My ribs were the best I ever did, yet I had good company with many other things cooked on an open flame with my 40 kilograms of lump charcoal that I brought over for the event.

I just hope these pics come out OK. I'm calling the lab now to see if the prints are ready...:wink:

Cheers!

Bill

**Please note this is my throwdown entry**

We had a very Merry Christmas at our house. My Mom and Dad came and ate with the six of us - Mrs Q, the baby Qs and me.

While the shrieking and paper explosion were in full gear, I stepped into the kitchen and put one part course salt, one part extra coarse black pepper and one part montreal steak on the exterior of a standing rib roast that had been ageing in the fridge since Saturday.

001_zpsc5f76cbc.jpg

After we all enjoyed the last of our presents, I stepped outside and fired off the WSM with one full lit chimney of Kingsford and one full chimney of unlit. The smoker went up into the 300s and I put the meat on (about a 5 1/2 pound, 3 bone roast).

After an hour and a half the internal temperature was in the mid 90s. The WSM temp was around 350 and all was well. A shot at the 90 minute mark.

005_zpse2666962.jpg

After another 30 minutes the internal temperature was in the 110s. I took the smoker apart and put the grill grate directly on the charcoal ring. I wanted to make sure we had a good exterior crust. I didn't char it, just a good sizzle. After finishing that exercise, I put the smoker back together and put the roast back in.

Pulled it at and internal temp in the low 120s and let it rest 20 minutes while we rounded up the family and served the mashed potatoes, squash casserole, fruit salad and rolls.

Mrs Q was kind enough to get a shot of the slicing. There was enough for everybody and for y'all too. (please use this photo)

007_zps9cee87df.jpg

A very Merry Christmas to you all from Houston, Texas USA. Thanks for all your kindness and friendship over the years.

Out of the Big Easy:

htef5d.jpg

Beautiful bird, wow! I remember you posting about the oiless fryer before, you've got a delicious looking discovery there. Lemon meringue is a favourite of mine --the whole meal looks great. Aren't those half pound peanut butter cups fantastic? Bought 6 packages to eat over the year til they come back next Christmas and didn't share them with a soul....... :laugh: :twisted:

That is one booo-you-tee-full crust, High Q. Wow. Did you age it in the fridge open to air on that racked pan? Is that what gave it such a beautilful crust? Like air drying a peking duck? I've been salivating over the Christmas prime rib roasts I've been seeing on site, must do something about that. I love the description of the 'shrieking and paper explosion' and stuff, good description of Christmas morning with kids.

(There were three Hos in that post. I thought for sure someone would've pointed out the other one by now). :heh:

You mean the one in the Amersterdam doorway? Noticed her right away but didn't notice your 'ghost writing' until 3 minutes ago. I was overcome by the delicious food, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :redface:

Did you age it in the fridge open to air on that racked pan?

I bought the roast Saturday morning. I put it in the garage wrapped loosely in butcher paper until Tuesday morning. Early Tuesday, I put the salt/pepper/montreal on it. I think that the ageing and putting the salt on early to draw moisture out of the surface of the meat contributed to the crust along with the light sear at the end of the cook.

Appreciate the comments. Thanks.

Official Throwdown Entry - Home Cured Christmas Ham

I had some family come up to visit from Northern California for Christmas and so decided to do something special for Christmas Eve dinner. Since we still have leftover turkey in the freezer from Thanksgiving and my mom was making our traditional prime rib dinner on Christmas night, I decide to fill out the holiday large meal trifecta with a Christmas Ham.

Since I am uncapable of doing things the easy way I decided that rather than go to the store and buy a pre-cured ham and double smoking it, I would start with a fresh ham, cure it and smoke it myself.

Since there would be 10 of us for dinner I figured I needed a full leg. Overkill? I think not. When making ham or turkey or anything for that matter you should always have a back-up.

I went to the butcher and had him split a 20 lb leg into a 9.5 lb shank end and 10.5 lb butt end.

Here you can see the shank end before trimming.
Shank1_zps00a2d2e3.jpg

Shank2_zps162c7829.jpg

I took a sharp knife and peeled off the skin as well as any areas of thick fat.
TrimmedShank2_zps61acd2d2.jpg

TrimmedButt2_zps1841ecc7.jpg

Next it was time to create the brine. I used the recipe from Ruhlman's Charcuterie and bumped up the volumes by 1.5x since his recipe was for a 12-15lb ham and I had nearly 20 lbs.
Salt, brown sugar, pink salt all got measured into a bowl.
DryIngredients_zps56e20084.jpg

And then were added to 10 qts of cold water along with some molasses, which was my addition to the recipe.
Brine_zps0ab76c54.jpg

The hams went into a clean bucket,
HamsinBucket_zpsdb5ce704.jpg

and were then submerged in the brine with a ziploc of water on top to keep them submerged.
CoveredwithBrine_zpsfc37a23d.jpg

Next they got sealed up and into the fridge for 5-days
SealedUp_zps18f93b02.jpg

5-days later they came out of their salty sweet bath
PostBrine_zpscd12e1e0.jpg

Then they got patted dry, set onto roasting racks and went into the fridge uncovered overnight so the pellicle could set. Here you can see the sheen that's developled on the outside of the ham after a night in the fridge.
IMG_7180_zps15b08f26.jpg

Then onto the Traeger they went and smoked with cherry wood at 225-250 for about 8 hours until they reached 165*.
OfftheSmoker_zps9d8cb71f.jpg

They were smoked on Saturday allowed to cool then wrapped in plastic and into the fridge until Monday morning at which point the butt end went into a 250* degree oven. Once it hit an IT of about 130* it was time to start glazing. I mixed up a glaze of ~4oz bourbon and close to an equal part of brown sugar as well as some dijon mustard. I hit it with some glaze ever 45 minutes or so until it was nice and sticky and glistening. Once it hit 165* IT out it came. (Voting Pic)
Glazed1_zps044f973f.jpg

Glazed2_zps11e14658.jpg

Glazed3_zps5c07811b.jpg

Let it rest for a bit and then sliced and served.
Slices1_zpscc75b801.jpg

Along with the ham we served an appetizer platter with some salami, crackers and an assortment of cold smoked cheeses.
AppetizerPlatter_zps82cd87c3.jpg

As well as a salad, some cheesy potato concoction that my wife made in the crock-pot and sauteed green beans. Overall it was a truly incredible meal.

Thanks for looking.

-Dave

Wow, that looks delicious! I'm definitely adding a packet of cherry Kool-aid to the next ham I'm making. :thumb:

Back