Reverse Sear Question

noquarter

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok so I have read about reverse searing on here and I have a question...
When I do it, I put the meat on indirectly for the first part, with wood for smokey flavor, then get the grill really hot and finish the meat off on that.
Some people explain the opposite of this...
But from what I understand- meat only accepts smoke up to 140 degrees. And if that is so, wouldn't searing the meat first inhibit the smoke from the meat?

When I do it, I put the meat on indirectly for the first part, with wood for smokey flavor, then get the grill really hot and finish the meat off on that.
But from what I understand- meat only accepts smoke up to 140 degrees. And if that is so, wouldn't searing the meat first inhibit the smoke from the meat?

Everyone has different tastes and expectations, cook two of the same meats, doing one each and then you will know which you like.

You are correct - in order for the meat to absorb smoke, it needs to be raw, basically. That's why exposing meat to smoke during the indirect phase of the cook works so well.

If you like a smoky taste on your meat (as I do) then yes, you'll want to get the smoke in the beginning indirect phase. Doing it at the end won't make much of a difference, if at all.

I did a full tutorial on the Reverse Sear HERE.

140 degrees is when the smoke ring stops forming. Meat accepts smoke to a varying degree all the time it is exposed to it.

140 degrees is when the smoke ring stops forming. Meat accepts smoke to a varying degree all the time it is exposed to it.

Yes, unless the meat has been seared and has a crust on it which is what the OP was asking about - at that point, smoke penetration is nominal at best.

I prefer a reverse sear so that I can lightly smoke the meat up front and sear it at the end.

Yes, unless the meat has been seared and has a crust on it which is what the OP was asking about - at that point, smoke penetration is nominal at best.

You make a good point. I was responding only to the 140 degree is when meat stops accepting smoke part. Your comment is more comprehensive. I actually don't know how searing affects smoke penetration, but I suspect you are correct.

What is the science behind this?
Why not?:confused:

If you sear first, the crust creates a barrier that does not allow for further smoke penetration into the meat, although it will absorb smoke into the crust, which can create a pretty acrid taste if exposed to enough smoke for an extended period of time. I suspect the acrid taste is due to a concentrated amount of smoke molecules into a very small surface. Not tasty at all...

Back