want to smoke a turkey for christmas....

firecracker jack

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What is the best way to check for proper temp? Was going to use the uds at about 250*, but unsure of how to tell if it's done?????

Thanks,
firecrackerjack:lol:

180° in the thighs, 160° in the breast, that will work.
What time should I be over? :mrgreen:

180° in the thighs, 160° in the breast, that will work.
What time should I be over? :mrgreen:
Santa's going to be here sometime after midnight, so if you get down the chimney first there might be some turkey fixin's left......But you should probably hurry, I'm already hungry!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Was going to use a simple brine for the first time, got it from the roadmap(saiko's):11/2 cup kosher,11/2 brwn sug, 2 gallons water.....should I brine it overnight????

ffirecrackerjack

I brine over night. I actually use the Nelly's brine recipe from Food TV but use Hard Cider instead of apple juice. Everyone who has ever eaten my turkey loves it. The first time I smoked one my wife wasn't too sure about it so she roasted one also. After eating the smoked one she said that is the only way we are cooking our turkeys form now on. :-D

Gonna give this a try. Got two cheapo turkeys leftover.

I brined mine for 48 hours in the alton brown brine, then I smoked at at 235* until it was 170 in the breast and 180 in the thigh. It was the best turkey I have ever had. I did a 2nd turkey in the oven as well since I had a large crowd to feed and everyone agreed the smoked was the best.

160 in the breast and 180 in the thigh. Some folks ice the breast so the breast and thigh hit those numbers at the same time.

Santa's going to be here sometime after midnight, so if you get down the chimney first there might be some turkey fixin's left......But you should probably hurry, I'm already hungry!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Was going to use a simple brine for the first time, got it from the roadmap(saiko's):11/2 cup kosher,11/2 brwn sug, 2 gallons water.....should I brine it overnight????

ffirecrackerjack

For my basic brine I use 6 quarts cold water and 2 cups each of kosher salt & brown sugar. Other liquids I add: 3 cups of O.J. and a half bottle of white wine. Brine for 12 - 16 hours in a 5 gallon bucket. These quantities will completely cover a 22 - 24 Lb. bird. Works like a charm!
These 8 birds were from last Thanksgiving, cook to 165 F in the breast. Let rest about 20 minutes before carving.

DSC02240.jpg

Some are lighter or darker than others because they went in the cooker at different times.
-
-

Back