• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Maverick acting Weird. Help.

Goyo626

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
First time using Maverick. Put on butts at 12:00 am. Temp has been rock solid 230-235. Within 3min temp climbed to 280. the webers thermometer is reading 235. i have two vents closed and one open 1/3.

Are you reading those temps from the remote or at the transmitter at the pit? Which Maverick do you have? I ask because the ET-73 can lose communication to the remote and it appears to be steady when it actually is reporting the last temperature it had been transmitted.

Are you reading those temps from the remote or at the transmitter at the pit? Which Maverick do you have? I ask because the ET-73 can lose communication to the remote and it appears to be steady when it actually is reporting the last temperature it had been transmitted

et 736. Both are reading 266 since last post. comm issues are not likely since i am less than 10 ft away from transmitter.

Early in he cook it is normal to see the grate temperature higher than the lid thermometer. The lid has all of the cold meat between it and the fire and that affects the reading. As the cook proceeds, they will usually read closer because the meat heats up.

Of course this assumes all probes are reading correctly, but the readings you are seeing are not at all unusual.

It seems unlikely that the Maverick just went haywire all of a sudden then. Did the wind come up? Did you have the lid open and cause a flare up? Did you run out of water in the pan, assuming you are using a WSM?

Early in he cook it is normal to see the grate temperature higher than the lid thermometer. The lid has all of the cold meat between it and the fire and that affects the reading. As the cook proceeds, they will usually read closer because the meat heats up.

Of course this assumes all probes are reading correctly, but the readings you are seeing are not at all unusual.

Its almost 5 hrs in. I have been watching it the whole time. It was at 134 then within 4min or less it was at around 280. I have not messed with the lid or vents since i put the butts on.

It seems unlikely that the Maverick just went haywire all of a sudden then. Did the wind come up? Did you have the lid open and cause a flare up? Did you run out of water in the pan, assuming you are using a WSM?

No wind the smoker is protected on three sides. Have not opened lid or messed with vents. I put sand instead of water in the wsm.

I had a probe for my ET-732 go bad. It would fluctuate between LLL and a high reading.

I tried resetting the unit but it didnt work its now holding steady at 270 while the weber thermometer is at 245. its been on for 6.5 hrs and internal temp is around 170 is this too fast? im looking for 5-6 pm dinner.

There will be a temperature difference between the grate and the dome reading. That is normal.

If you are cooking a pork butt at 270 grate temperature you are looking at about 1hr per pound. So depending on the size of the pork butt it very well can reach 170 degrees quick.

P.S. 170 degrees internal temperature, you are at the stall. The collagen and connective tissues are breaking down from solid to liquid. Depending on your grate temperature will also depend on how long it stays at the stall.

Did the maverick fall off and is now closer to the fire? It has happened to me.

The difference you're seeing isn't big enough to make me think that it is broken. Usually, if it is broken it will be HHH or LLL or something. Check the wires. Make sure they aren't pinched or crimped. Make sure you're measuring at the same spot as the Weber. Make sure fat isn't dripping on the thermo.

if you doubt the accuracy of the maverick put the tip of the probe in boiling water.

Should read close to 212f depending on your elevation (remember science class?)

Its almost 5 hrs in. I have been watching it the whole time. It was at 134 then within 4min or less it was at around 280. I have not messed with the lid or vents since i put the butts on.

I've used the Maverick for years and never had a problem wit it or the probes...

Is the tip of the meat probe centered in the meat not touching the bone? And are the probes plugged into the respective ports?

There will be a temperature difference between the grate and the dome reading. That is normal.

If you are cooking a pork butt at 270 grate temperature you are looking at about 1hr per pound. So depending on the size of the pork butt it very well can reach 170 degrees quick.

P.S. 170 degrees internal temperature, you are at the stall. The collagen and connective tissues are breaking down from solid to liquid. Depending on your grate temperature will also depend on how long it stays at the stall.

Sorry for not responding to the brethrens responses I had a nap. What is weird is that the temp probe read 135 for 5 hrs then within minutes was 180. The weber therm and the maverick have been around 30 to 40 apart. My food probe is at 192.

@iammadman the probes are attached correctly. The meat probe is not giving me problems.

@ buttburner thank you I will try it after butts come out.

@---k--- The probe has not fallen. The probe is not in contact with drippings. The wires are fine. The size of the butt and length of wires prohibit me from putting the bbq probe in the same place as weber therm.

Thank you all for your responses.

Back