Know of any Northern CA wineries that sell barrel chips / chunks?

Foxfire

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Pretty much just the title question. I live in San Jose, would be an easy romp to Sonoma, Napa, or most any of the other northern wineries. Just interested in trying something different and may as well take advantage of my location.

I would just by calling the closest one to you and see if they have any bad barrels. Move on to the next one until you find one.

Post a "Wanted" on Craiglist SF Bay Area. There had been someone selling exactly what you are looking for, but that post was not active when I looked this morning.

I might be able to get some wine infused oak for you. Just let me know, and I'll see what I can do. My store is just a short hop, skip, and jump from you.

Don't be restricted to old oak barrel staves. Many wineries use 20# bags of oak chips. These are tossed into the primary fermentors to give wine that is not aged in oak an "oak flavor'." They are used one time, then thrown away. Some are shavings, others are small cubes (think dice). I can get you a 20# bag of "dice" for free if you want. I live in Lodi, about 50 miles east of you.

Larry S
4sommerfeld@att.net

Don't be restricted to old oak barrel staves. Many wineries use 20# bags of oak chips. These are tossed into the primary fermentors to give wine that is not aged in oak an "oak flavor'." They are used one time, then thrown away. Some are shavings, others are small cubes (think dice). I can get you a 20# bag of "dice" for free if you want. I live in Lodi, about 50 miles east of you.

Larry S
4sommerfeld@att.net

Does that offer stand for others??? I recently relocated to Sacramento, and I'm having a heck of a time finding BBQ resources in the area :cry:. I've got a training in Stockton in a couple of weeks, maybe I could pay you a visit??

I was gonna say, contact BBQ PD on this forum, I would think he has a source close by, and certainly in Sonoma. Plus, he has a full service BBQ shop too boot.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Gives me several options.

Greetings back to all the San Jose / NorCal brethren! When's the meetup?? Lol :razz:

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, guys! Gives me several options.

Greetings back to all the San Jose / NorCal brethren! When's the meetup?? Lol :razz:
Um, well, I...ummm there is a forum called BRethren Bashes there, and there is some information on a potential bash or two

Smokinin 614

Heck yes! Do you want chips or cubes? Send me an Email. I'm working six days a week hauling grapes from the vineyard to the winery, so it may be a while before I can respond.

Back