• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Very Simple Stainless UDS

Great job! I assume you used the jig saw to cut the kettle too.

Thanks Alan.

A skill saw, not a jig saw, with an abrasive blade was used to cut the rectangular vent hole. It makes straight line cuts very easy. A sawsall was then used to finish the cuts into the corners.

The kettle was cut on a table saw with a metal blade. The saw spacer was set to 2" and then the kettle was turned sideways so the rim was against the spacer bar. The kettle was then rolled in place to make the cut. This was also very easy and precise.

Last edited:
Thanks Alan.

A skill saw, not a jig saw, with an abrasive blade was used to cut the rectangular vent hole. It makes straight line cuts very easy. A sawsall was then used to finish the cuts into the corners.

The kettle was cut on a table saw with a metal blade. The saw spacer was set to 2" and then the kettle was turned sideways so the rim was against the spacer bar. The kettle was then rolled in place to make the cut. This was also very easy and precise.
Great idea! I've used abrasive blades on a skillsaw to cut sheet metal roof panels,a few sparks coming off the blade. I'm sure the table saw was cleaned of all sawdust before you began!
Thanks for answering!

Simply BEAUTIFUL!!

Where do you get or find stainless steel drums? and about how much are they?

Simply BEAUTIFUL!!

Where do you get or find stainless steel drums? and about how much are they?

Thank you muttley.

You can buy them new on line, but they are very expensive that way. Every now and then you will find a reconditioned one online for a better price. Best bet is craigslist and a lot of patience.

I first started looking for them a couple of years ago. Here is a thread I started back in June of 2007 about some I found for $100 on Craigslist. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27847&highlight=stainless+drum

Here is the thread by Brother CircleW that alerted me to this unused, unlined drum for $40. A Stainless Steal.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74373&highlight=stainless

Got mine at a garage sale for $5.00 :biggrin::biggrin:. Total in complete build is about $135.00. I splurged for the SS domed top and the BGE air intake slidie thingie.

Mine is the small pic up ^^^^^^a bunch of posts.

Paul B
SS UDS

Got mine at a garage sale for $5.00 :biggrin::biggrin:. Total in complete build is about $135.00. I splurged for the SS domed top and the BGE air intake slidie thingie.

Mine is the small pic up ^^^^^^a bunch of posts.

Paul B
SS UDS

Man, that is the deal of the century!

Looks great. Love the blue performer lid. A blue stainless performer...that's what I'd like to turn mine into.

Nice work on the SS UDS!

I just finished building a new charcoal basket from 3/4" x #9 expanded metal .
The grate is an 18 1/2" WSM charcoal grate with three 1 1/2" x 1/2 bolt legs.
Neither basket is attached. They both sit on the grate between the bolts and the outer ring.

For shorter cooks I use the 4 3/4" high charcoal ring from the WSM.
4WSMRing.jpg

For longer cooks I will use the 8 1/4" high expanded metal version.
4Basket.jpg

Nice

Wow that looks good. My wife might even let me have one if it looked like that!

I know of a product that will help you keep it looking like this if you are interested. It's called Ultra Seal and can be found at

http://www.polishplus.com

I works on motorcycle pipes and I use it on my SS gas grill.

Jim

I have a question about the two baskets. The WSM has a lot less perforation than the expanded metal. Do you find the temperature lower when using the WSM ring. I built a UDS in the fall and only got a few burns off before winter. The temperature was 150 degrees higher than I could ever get my WSM. I am planning to try my WSM ring very soon but I thought I'd ask....

I have a question about the two baskets. The WSM has a lot less perforation than the expanded metal. Do you find the temperature lower when using the WSM ring. I built a UDS in the fall and only got a few burns off before winter. The temperature was 150 degrees higher than I could ever get my WSM. I am planning to try my WSM ring very soon but I thought I'd ask....

I can't tell the difference in temp control between the two different rings. I thought the WSM ring would be better for smaller cooks, but have found that if I just put less lump in the expanded metal ring, it works just as well. Since determining this, I haver wired the expanded ring to the grate and have been using it exclusively.

My drum is very well sealed and I can open the BGE draft door very wide if I need a lot of heat for hot and fast cooks. Your setup may be different.

It will be easy for you to try the WSM ring. Let us know what you find.

Ironically enough my UDS setup will be very similar to yours. I have a weber performer fid (green) and the BE draft door. Im wondering since your rig is finished:
1.) How far off the bottom did you mount your vent? Im looking at 3" to match the bottom of my fire basket.
2.) What did you use to seal the BGE draft door? RTV? Stove sealer?
3.) DHow well does your UDS hold temperature? Does the large bge vent door seem to hold constant temperature?

I really appreciate your help. I hope I can have similar results to you!!

JV

JV- I would mount your BGE intake at the bottom of the barrel. It is a great exit for the ashes at clean up time. I have mounted them in various positions up as high as 3"(to bottom) and there is no difference in performance. I never use any sealant as "close counts" when installing. Perhaps if you were mounting it over a dent or you had one of those barrels with ribbs at the bottom you would have to take more care but otherwise the door is snug.

The size of the hole in the UDS means nothing. The amount you have it open is the control. The large opening when opened up is a pizza makers delight but 180 is easypeasy. Your lump has no idea who the door man is and burns the same according to air available.
Every barrel has a sweet spot. I have two going right now that are identical builds and one is sitting a little over 220 and the other is 235. I was trying for 225 for both. I'm sure I could dial them in tighter but that is where they settle. My high and low alarms are 25 deg. each side and I don't think they have ever gone off. The barrels are coming up on 8hrs now with no adjustments, shakes or peaking.

Ironically enough my UDS setup will be very similar to yours. I have a weber performer fid (green) and the BE draft door. Im wondering since your rig is finished:
1.) How far off the bottom did you mount your vent? Im looking at 3" to match the bottom of my fire basket.
2.) What did you use to seal the BGE draft door? RTV? Stove sealer?
3.) DHow well does your UDS hold temperature? Does the large bge vent door seem to hold constant temperature?

I really appreciate your help. I hope I can have similar results to you!!

JV

""BGE draft door? RTV?""

That's what I used, seems to be working. After all it doesn't get very hot at that point.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit

I appreciate the feedback. My parts should be here this week. Ill prepare pictures to show the status of my build.

JV

Back