worcestershire as a base for bbq rub

wrinklenuts

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Howdy. I was wondering if anyone uses Worcestershire sauce before they put on their rub? I usually use olive oil but I might have to try Worcestershire.

Sure it will work as a slather. I've done it with beef and with pork ribs. If I slather it is mostly to help hydrate the rub as it helps with color

I think I use Worcestershire sauce more often before grilling, than before smoking, but if I'm using a mustard slather I will thin the mustard with it, or with Wooster and pickle juice. Most of my mops (actually a spray mop) do have Wooster added. And now that we're on the subject, I use Worcestershire powder in a couple of rubs and as as an adder to seasonings for beef.

I like to use it for Tri-Tips. For briskets and ribs, I prefer oil. Chicken, it depends...

I've used McCormick's Pub Burger seasoning with worcestershire as the primary flavor.
It's not bad at all.
picture.php

I’ve tried it after reading someone else using it that way. Didn’t work like I wanted it to. All my run was on the pan I was using under the meat. I like mustard on pork and oil oil on poultry

You might try Maggi seasoning with the Worcestershire sauce ... tho used primarily for soup and stocks I’ve rubbed steaks and chops with it plus SPOG and was quite pleased.

Last edited:
I don't use it much as a rub and I prefer marinating with soy, sweet soy and fish sauce.
It works well on a steak though (marinate and grill) and I use it all the time for making biltong

Back