Taking Paint Off Of Outside of Barrel

jquade

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hey Guys! I just purchased 2 barrels that have been sandblasted on the inside but not on the outside for $10 They still have paint on the outside and lid. I live in the city that restricts burning or you have to have to spend $40 to get a permit. Any suggestions on getting the outside paint off without bulding a huge fire? Thanks!

Hey Guys! I just purchased 2 barrels that have been sandblasted on the inside but not on the outside for $10 They still have paint on the outside and lid. I live in the city that restricts burning or you have to have to spend $40 to get a permit. Any suggestions on getting the outside paint off without bulding a huge fire? Thanks!

Go back to where you got them and ask them to sandblast the outside?

Ha,

Can't burn in Burnsville, Mn?

That's a travesty. It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham.

Can you buy and use a weed burner on it? Costs $20 at Harbor Freight. If not maybe a can of paint remover is what you need. It's messy but quite effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya I know, somebody lights up a cigar around here, and some idiot calls the fire dept.

I second the sandblasting. I've tried using paint remover, but have had minimal to no luck with it.

Matt

Am I missing something or is there still sandpaper and elbow grease out there? Man it seems like no manual labor shall be done anymore. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap palm sander and some discs and get after it. No burning needed. Easy peasy. Sometimes what seems like the hard way is actually easier. Steve.

Drill your intake holes and add the bolts for your grate.Fill it up with some pallets and light it up.Put your grate on and when sombody comes by,throw some cheap weenies on and tell 'em you are trying to learn how to bbq :becky:

If you insist on a heat burn, you could also tip the barrel on its side, set it up on some bricks or blocks, and load the side (now the inside bottom) with a pile of lit charcoal.
Spread it in a long line from bottom to top or just move the coals around some.
Rotate the barrel every so often to expose all surfaces.

I went and hit it good with the weed burner, and then followed ssbbqguy's advice and justwent after it with a sander and 60 grit

I cant believe nobody else has said this but WHY would you strip the outside of the barrell???

I cant believe nobody else has said this but WHY would you strip the outside of the barrell???

Can I get a :amen:

I was wondering the same thing, I wasn't going to do anything with the outside of my barrel.

I removed the outside paint because it was not high heat paint. Well, the burnout did most of the paint removal for me, but I still had to finish the job.
I used 80 grit sandpaper and then finished off with 150 grit. Didn't take too long. I got a bit dirty, but heck. It's worth it.

Back