New Braunsfeld mod needed

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It is an off set that I donated to the pool. Where the heat comes into the main camber for the most part will torch anything on the grill above. I am thinking deflector or homemade reverse flow. I like to increase its capactity... Any Idears? Thanks in advanced

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53157

Check out the baffle. Same setup my dad's has, works great and makes a world of difference.

Like this but older....

new_braunfels_black_diamond.jpg

I thought you only used it as a grill? Anyway, Horizon makes a deflector plate for it. Kinda pricy, but it fits. You should consider taking some aluminum flashing and lower the exhaust to the grate level, though that will decrease capcity. I am not a reverse flow expert, but I'm not sure how well that would work considering the placement of the exhaust. Doesn't the exhaust have to be closest to the firebox for reverse flow to be effective? NB used to advertise putting racks in the bottom of the cooking chamber, below the main racks to increase cooking capacity. Not sure how else to effectively increase, it's pretty tight in there.

dmp

Like this but older....

new_braunfels_black_diamond.jpg

Ah!! Same thing then basically. On my old SnP I made heat shield from some old sheet metal(non galvanized) and I bolted it to the bolts that hold the firebox to the meat chamber. It stretched clear across the width and was about one inch about the opening all the way across. You can even just use a big enough piece of plate steel kinda like a tuning plate really.

Thanks I just think its a waste of space. Yes I do have the grates...

at bob said & you can even add a water pan above that- i use a disposable turkey pan.

As mentioned lowering the exhaust and placing in a sheet of metal or I have used an old cookie sheet. People say you can use the whole grill area like for cooking high heat chicken but I never had much luck with that. Like you, I think those kind of smokers waste a lot of space unless you make some mods.
Dave

That's exactly what I did. The area above the baffle will still be pretty hot so it doesn't really smooth out the hot spot all that great, but better than if it wasn't there at all.

WOW!! Pretty cool Lotta work to put into that kinda smoker, but seems to work. I'd keep it a stick burner though. Kinda curious about his final comments, about the 25 degree difference from end to end though. 25 degrees is still a big difference I would think. Do any of you that have Langs agree with the 25 degrees? I thought the larger pits ran a lower difference than that.
The problem with these smaller units is that because of the space it will always run hotter at the firebox side. So that cuts you area in half and that's a real bummer when you really want to load it up. Even with the baffle I put in mine, that end was always a lot hotter so I just used it more like a grill on that end. Even with the baffle it would give things a good char cause of the heat.
One thing you can also do is bank the coals or logs to the side or the vent end of the firebox. Putting them up against the opening makes for some hot temps.
One thing is for sure, those little horizontals will show you fire and temp management real quick. i really enjoyed mine.

Well yeah, you can cut it to a reverse mod. Pretty cool, and got me thinking about mine....

I would raise a half pan filled with water, with a grate on the belly of the smoke chamber...

I guess like this! Swamp did it work well enough to use the whole top grate?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41155

I have something similar in my old style NB offset, somewhere I posted the pics. The baffle on mine does not have the horizontal bend, but I have 1/8 inch tuning plates instead. Three of them. They catch and evenly distribute the heat well enough, and I have increasing gaps between the plates to allow the smoke to come up to the cooking grate level. I did not lower the exhaust tube because I did not want to decrease capacity!

Back